How I Became Mrs. Watts (31)

CHAPTER 31

He continued to drive along the road. If Andrew knew of my paranoia, he didn't let on. I hope he didn't know, though it would be good if I could show him just how much he meant to me. Hopefully he felt that way as well. The song that came on the radio was “By Your Side” by Tenth Avenue North. I turned it up and started to sing along.

“Why are you striving these days?

Why are you trying to earn grace?

Why are you crying?

Let me lift up your face.

Just don't turn away.

Why are you looking for love?

Why are you still searching as if I'm not enough?

To where will you go child?

Tell me, where will you run?

To where will you run?

And I'll be by your side,

Wherever you fall,

In the dead of night,

Whenever you call,

And please don't fight,

These hands that are holding you.

My hands are holding you.

Look at these hands and my side,

They swallowed the grave on that night,

When I drank the world's sin,

So I could carry you in

And give you life.

I want to give you life.

And I'll be by your side,

Wherever you fall,

In the dead of night,

Whenever you call,

And please don't fight,

These hands that are holding you.

My hands are holding you.

And I'll be by your side,

Wherever you fall,

In the dead of night,

Whenever you call,

And please don't fight,

These hands that are holding you.

My hands are holding you.

Cause I, I love you.

I want you to know,

That I, I love you.

I'll never let you go.

And I'll be by your side,

Wherever you fall,

In the dead of night,

Whenever you call,

And please don't fight,

These hands that are holding you.

My hands are holding you.

And I'll be by your side,

Wherever you fall,

In the dead of night,

Whenever you call,

And please don't fight,

These hands that are holding you.

My hands are holding you.”

We came to a stop in front of the only movie theater around here. Andrew got out of the car and ran over to my side before I had time to react. He opened my door for me. I smiled at him, “Thanks!”

He returned it with, “You're welcome!” Also with a smile, of course. I got out and he linked arms with me. We probably looked ridiculous, but neither of us cared. We were blissfully happy, well, at least, I was. I wasn't quite sure about Andrew, but I was pretty sure he was very happy as well. That might have been more of me hoping than reality though. I hoped, no, prayed, that it was reality, not just something my mind made up. There I go being paranoid again, I thought. But I can't help it! I wish I could've stopped being like that, but it was nearly impossible at that moment. I had my mind set on being paranoid and there was no stopping it.

We walked inside very slowly, casually. Our arms fell to our own sides. “What movie are we seeing?” I asked, pointing to the ticket booth, “Because we better get the tickets soon.” The line was enormous.

He smiled like one smiles at a naive child, “I already have the tickets.” He waved them in front of my face.

“Smart alec,” I muttered.

“I prefer just smart,” he smirked.

“Oh, shut up you,” I rolled my eyes. He smiled triumphantly, which I really did not understand.

“Come on, our movie is seating now!” he said, taking my hand in his. I froze for a millionth of a second, then ran along with him. He handed the tickets to the person holding his hand out for them. She tore them off and gave Andrew the stubs back.

“Theater 7,” she said, pointing to her left.

Andrew pulled me down to theater 7. I glanced at the picture at the top of the doorway to see what movie was playing. “Titanic in 3D?!” I asked. I was really excited because I had wanted to see that for a while.

Andrew grinned knowingly, “It's only the most romantic movie ever.”

“Agreed,” I said. We were still walking and we finally found two seats in the very crowded room. “Thank you,” I whispered, not wanting to disturb anyone who actually wanted to watch the previews.

“Anything for you, Ella,” he breathed. The third “aw” moment so far, though I hoped there were many more to come.

My hand was still in his when the lights started to go down. I rested my head on his shoulder. “Don't you go to sleep on me now,” he scolded playfully.

“I won't,” I laughed quietly, “I'm no Courtney.” The movie began then. Andrew offered me a tissue at several parts, but I had no need for one. I never cried at movies or when I read a book. It took an awful lot to get me to cry. Like Andrew breaking up with me, I thought. But I've already forgiven him for that. It's in the past, it doesn't matter now. I was arguing with myself. I did not like that at all. I made my brain hush when Andrew pulled me to my feet and we went to his car.