Chapter Eight - The Betrayal

Here is Chapter Eight, and it changes everything!!!! I am really excited to post this chapter even though it's short and I hope you enjoy it! Don't forget to follow me and vote!

Lots of Love,  Kenzie ❤️ Kate

___

1 Month Later

The past month has been so different from all the months before. Training with the former Genealogy Director Shannon has been, quite frankly a trying time for me. Learning to do my job while trying to preserve my self-esteem from Shannon has been a balancing act for circus monkeys.

But after every long day I go home to a supportive brother and a loving Life Partner. I would be lying if I said that living with my brother wasn't awkward at times. Ryker has had the misfortune of walking into the kitchen to find his sister and best friend making out. But in our defense, it was only a few times.

Leah and I are best friends and can always find time to hangout. The only thing out of my new ordinary was overhearing a conversation between my brother and Liam about a ring, though they didn't specify anything.

Over the weekend, I have been initiated as the new Genealogy Director and today is the first day I will attend to my job alone. Currently I am walking into the building, and unlocking the door at 8:00 sharp. My internal clock has been set over the past month and I have never been late.

I plop down in my chair and knock on the wall to my right. A knock sounds back and I smile. Fortunately for me my office resides right next to the Military Director's. I log on to my account and open my daily agenda. Today I will be selecting Life Partners for next year's sixteen year olds in Lincoln Division.

When I match up some of them I move the remaining few into the file to be matched to people from other divisions. I send the matched pairs to the printer to make a document copy. Heading to the printer down the hall I decide to stop and say hello to Leah and the Population Director Thomas Bane.

When I reach the door, there is a chorus of whispers. "Leah I have great news, I have convinced your brother to sign our request for firearms and weapon trucks to use in our population raid of Lincoln." Bane explains.

I feel my heart stop beating, whether it be from the holocaust plan or my Life Partner and friends involvement. "But sir," Leah interjects, "Wouldn't it be easier to use nuclear weapons or biological warfare?"

"Of course not Leah, we want to decrease the population, not wipe out all of civilization." Bane reasons.

I feel physically sick to my stomach. I leave to retrieve my papers and bury myself in work as I think of a way I can stop the annihilation of innocent people. But a wave of grief threatens to drown me in depression.

How could I, a single person, save the population from the people who swore to protect them. The people they trust most? The truth is... I don't know.

___

Don't hate me! This isn't the end for Cariam yet! Stay tuned to see the story unfold. Don't forget to follow me and vote!

Lots of Love, Kenzie ❤️ Kate