Chapter 40

A war was about to begin...A war different from the others, a war that all nations would join, in order to fight a man named Madara. Uchiha Madara.

Numerous trucks crawled along the old cobblestone and new roads of Konoha , dark fumes forced from the exhaust rose up to meet the grey clouds above. Standing by the window pane, Kaori watched as more men in shinobi uniforms with the united shinobi forces headband in their heads left for the trucks, wives, sons and daughters standing in the door frame. Some stood silent, holding onto their hands, others raced towards the vehicles crying out to them as the trucks pulled away, for the battlefield.

Gritting her teeth, Kaori closed the white curtains, trying so hard to swallow down the pain like bitter medicine. Then, two arms snaked themselves around her waist and stomach. They held onto her like a vice, unwilling to let go. From that body that was wrapped around her , a warmth radiated from it, that same warmth Kaori cherished on long nights as if it were a small star.

But a chill resided in her chest like a flower that couldn't escape winter no matter how much the sun casted its rays upon it. Kaori tried to breathe but each time she tried, the pain grew more, stealing her very breath.

"I promise I'll be back, love," a voice she loved hearing whispered beside her .

Kaori only nodded. She promised herself she would not break down in tears in front of her lover , no matter how much it killed her. Even as she heard wives cry out to their husbands, through choked wails and pleas, Kaori did not cry. Shutting her eyes, the world around her was just a chorus of shouts, hoarsed goodbyes and truck engines. Even in his arms, there was no comfort.

Though was there any solace in war?

"Please say something, love." Yamato held Kaori tight, pressing his head into her neck. He smelled like the earth after the rain , a comforting smell.

Kaori turned to face him and then pulled him in again, burying her face into his chest . He would escort Naruto in the Lightning country before the war begins, with Aoba and Gai-san . This was for Naruto's safety , because Madara wanted his tailed beast.

But no, there could be no comfort in the world, especially during war. Even if Yamato wouldn't join the battlefield right away thought of him leaving to be a part of that destruction was more than she could bear. It was as if he was marching to his death, not just him but all of the men in the trucks, all of the men holding onto rifles like as a child would hold a toy, close to their chest with a vice grip.

And there was nothing anyone could do to stop it.

"Please don't leave, Yamato ." Fresh, hot tears streamed her cheeks and stained his uniform. He reached for her face and with his thumb, wiped away her tears. His dark eyes, so deep and alive were now clouded as if the sun and all the stars could not make them shine.

"I'm sorry Kaori, but I have to." Sighing, he embraced her as if she would vanish from his arms like a phantom. And she did the same.

He took her face in his hands. Among the tears, he pressed a deep kiss upon her lips, tender and firm as the first time he had done so. Kaori pulled him even deeper, grabbing his head and neck as if the hand of God could not separate her from him.

But too soon, he began to retreat as her lips still were slightly puckered, longing for more.

"I love you Kaori . So, so much. I want to stay forever by your side...Kaori I want to marry you "

Kaori wanted to answer him, but when she opened her mouth all the words she wanted to say vanished. She just stared at his dark eyes, her hazel ones tearing up again. He took her hands and kissed them softly . Then with his one hand he created a small wooden ring and put it at her hand . She looked at it through her teary eyes and saw it had a flower carved on it with some other small delicate carvings around it.

"This is a promise ring. I will get you a real one when I got back....But, will you accept it? " He asked nervously the last part looking at her. She only could smile, too afraid to speak . She slowly put her arms around his neck and hugged him tightly.
"O-of course I will, i-idiot " He smiled at her response gently stroking her hair.

He eventually let her go knowing it was time for him to leave. Each tear that caressed Kaori's cheek stole the very words she wanted to say to him, the pain in her throat turning her mute. And all the while, she watched him walking slowly to the gates , only once turning back and staring at her with the same tears in his eyes. He was crying.
Without warning, Kaori started running towards him as fast as she could . He sensed her and turned to her, only to be crushed with a passionate kiss in the lips. He gasped as he felt all her desperation, love and worry in it, but he returned it with the same emotions, knowing it might be their last. He held her tight never wanting to let go.

"Yamato, it's time to go!" They heard Gai from afar . They broke apart breathing heavily.

"I-I love you too... Remember that " He nodded not trusting himself to speak and break. He turned his back to her and start walking faster this time.

"I will come back love! I promise!" He cried one last time before he was all but out of sight.

Panting, Kaori stood holding onto her chest as more tears fell. Sinking to the ground, she wrapped her arms around herself but did not take her eyes off the road ahead. Distant thunder rumbled across the horizon and she start spinning the ring around her finger.

"Please come back safe to me...."