Chapter 36

Kaori awoke to a soft, gentle snore resounding in her ear. A smile slowly spread across her seemingly peaceful face. Beyond the snoring of her bedmate, Kaori heard the slightly strong rhythm of rain falling from dark, grey clouds. She heard it beat against the windows and the outside of her and Yamato's house's walls. It had this immense repetitive nature to it, as if it were saying"Stay inside, stay in warmth. Things could get ugly out here, Kaori .".

Strong arms tightened around her , pulling Kaori into the warmth of their body and pulling her out of her own little world. A barely audible grunt came from her lover as he continued to tighten his grip on her , so tight that it seemed like he was worried she would float away into thin air, never to be held again. Kaori felt his breath quicken, a sign that he was awakening from his deep slumber. He sleepily planted sweet butterfly kisses down the nape of her neck, brushing away her reddish brown locks in the process.

"Good morning, Yamato ." Kaori cooed. She turned her body around to greet him further, and the springs in the aging bed they shared with him creaked. Yamato's warm smile grew as he saw her sweet, beautiful face come into his view.

"Good morning to you too, my love." Yamato chuckled, just as he always did in the mornings and when he was sleepy. He brushed more of her reddish brown hair away from Kaori's face, and kissed your forehead. "So, how did you sleep?"

"Good enough that I want to stay in bed for the rest of the day," Kaori yawned, rubbing her hazel eyes. "And to make the mood better, it's raining."

Yamato chuckled at her again. "Rain makes you want to stay in bed, doesn't it?" she nodded at him who was now releasing a yawn himself. "Well then, why don't we?"

"Really? You really wanna stay in bed all day?"

"If it's with you," He smiled, wrapping his arms around her fragile body once more, "then yes, I do. Plus I don't have any mission for today and you have some more days off for your full recovery. " Kaori looked up at him, reaching in to kiss him. A small sound of lips meeting and parting echoed around the rather quiet room as she shared a kiss with Yamato .

They gazed at the rain outside the window in silence, still hugging each other. Yamato rested his head at Kaori's neck and he breathed her nice feminine scent. He was so happy to have her finally back.. He really didn't know what he would do if he had lost her.

His eyes grew melancholic.

Before Kaori, he had no one for him. He had no real home. He was just a tool for the village's use, a killing machine. If he ever got killed nobody would cry for him. But with Kaori, everything got brighter . He had a home, a person that would cry for him. He held her more tightly against his body.

"I am so glad you are alright, safe in my arms. If anything happened to you i don't know what would I do. " He whispered huskily at her neck making her shiver.

She started stroking his brown hair as she whispered in return.

"I could never leave you alone "

He nodded, accepting her answer before looking down .

"Kaori ?" he said. Kaori turned to face him. "If I died and you didn't know me.. Do you believe I would be forgotten ?"

Kaori a little startled by Yamato's question; he never really talked about things like this. "Not really... no," Kaori answered truthfully. "Is everything okay?" She sat in the bed and hugged her knees; he sat up next to her.

"Everything that's been going on lately..." Yamato's voice trailed off for a few moments. "I mean, with people... They're just..." he sighed hopelessly. But Kaori understood . Yamato was worried because most people didn't paid much attention to him , even if he stopped being an Anbu for the time being and was training Naruto with Kakashi .

"You're upset because you don't have many people that notice you?," she said for him. Yamato nodded.

"It makes me feel like nobody wants me around," he confessed, his voice soft. "Like....there's no need for me to be here."

"Don't say that!" Kaori said, horrified.

"You know it's true." Yamato didn't sound angry; just...depressed. Upset. "Nobody needs me. Not even my wood jutsu is satisfying. I am not even a match at the First hokage "

Kaori couldn't stand to hear him say that. Taking Yamato's hand, she looked into his eyes. "I need you," she told him, and without thinking twice about it she leaned in and kissed him right on the lips. It took him a moment to realize what was happening before he kissed her back.

"I love you," she told Yamato, hugging him tight. "Don't listen to what anyone else has to say. You are needed. You aren't invisible."

Kaori felt Yamato nod his head, and then he whispered in her ear, "I love you too, Kaori ."

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*

After some hours of relaxing in their bed and seeing a movie, the couple heard something like a knock in their door. They looked at each other wondering who would come in the middle of a rainstorm like that . Yamato signaled Kaori to stay at the living room as he checked out.

As he opened the door slowly, he was surprised to meet with a huge brown stare.

'It's the girl from the hospital.. What was her name.. '

"Are you alright?" Yamato asked, a look of concern plastered on his face, approacing the young girl, as tears threatened to spill from her big brown eyes.
"Hey what's wrong? Don't cry!" The Yamato said, rubbing the little girl's back gently.
The little girl sniffled, as she gazed towards him , his dark eyes expressed concern.

He felt concern for the little girl.

"What's your name? We have met before but you didn't say it to me " Yamato asked, wiping away the toddler's tears with his thumb gingerly.
"M-Miku." The child replied, as Kaori appeared next to the Yamato , staring at Miku her hazel eyes full with concern aswell.

"Miku-chan , what are you doing here. Where are your parents?" Kaori asked, her deep gentle voice making Miku tingle a bit.
Yamato placed the little girl gently onto his lap, as her tiny fingers grasped the dark blue ferbick of his cassual shirt , as wet tears began to trickle down the fabric.
"Mommy and Daddy...they..." The little girl sobbed onto Yamato's shirt , grasping the fabric tightly in her fists.
Feeling sympathetic, Yamato ran his fingers through Miku's reddish brown hair, as she calmed down.
Miku sniffled, as she mumbled something inaudible.
"Yamato ." Kaori spoke, catching the his attention, while Miku was still clinging on his shirt, sniffling once in a while.
"She's mouthing something" Kaori continued, eyeing the little girl on her lover's lap gently .
Miku hiccuped, as she snuggled closer to Yamato's chest.
"Will you be my daddy?" Miku asked, as tears once again pricked the corners of her shiny yet pleading big brown, innocent eyes.
Yamato became shocked and then nervous, as he couldn't get his sights away from the little girl that was sitting on his lap, her big brown eyes sparkled brighter than any diamond.

Him?

A father?

"Of course, Miku-chan ." Yamato cracked a warm smile, as the little girl wrapped her arms around him, as she rested her head on his chest, while Yamato patted Miku's head gently. Kaori placed her hand on the Yamato's shoulder, making both him and Miku look up towards her . Kaori's gaze was teared up from the touching moment infrond of her and she was smiling warmly at them. Miku smiled at her , and turned to face her 'daddy'.
"Can she be my mommy ?" Miku asked, looking into Yamato's eyes, and pointing to a shocked Kaori .

A faint yes was heard from Kaori.

Under the pouring rain, three lost souls found a family...