Part Twenty-Five

With tears building against the barriers of her eyes, Taegeuk sat in front of the anniversary card alongside the photographs in order from one to ten.

She had been sitting there for an hour in her room, unmoving and eyes darting from photograph to photograph. Anything and everything ran on repeat in her young mind, unable to make sense of anything or do anything to make their situation, at least, seem better.

Taekwon had noticed the lack of Taegeuk's presence in the main area of the house so, with curiosity beginning to swirl, he placed the book he was reading down on the coffee table in front of him and rose from the couch in the lounge. He glanced at Taehyung in the kitchen, whom was mindlessly pottering around looking for something to make. Due to his distracted mind he didn't notice Taekwon leaving the room out of the corner of his busy eye.

Taekwon walked through to the entrance hall and up the staircase towards Taegeuk's room. As he walked down the hallway he looked out the window and noticed the dark clouds gathering, alongside the sparking sky. He slowed his steps and began to count.

'One,' he whispered beneath his breath as he took a step, 'two, thr-' he said before being cut off by the sound of rumbling thunder, he quickly turned his head towards the window and saw the tails of the electric sparks quickly vanish as the thunder continued to pound.

He stopped and watched Taegeuk's bedroom door, waiting for it to open and seeing her scared eyes staring back at him begging for comfort, but the expectation diminished after moments of realising that she wasn't leaving her room. He frowned, realising that she must be too upset to be scared.

Taekwon then continued to walk towards Taegeuk's room, he rested his hand on the door handle and slowly pushed it open to find her sitting on the floor staring off into oblivion.

The lights were off, but the dim lights from outside illuminated her room enough for them to still be able to see.

He sighed and stood in the doorway, 'Staring at them won't help,' he whispered, loud enough for her to hear, 'that won't make you feel any better.'

Taegeuk lowered her head, 'I don't care,' She said under her breath, 'everything she left is probably still there, like the other things were, we can't just leave them there, we can't just leave her there.'

Taekwon walked closer towards Taegeuk and looked down at her, 'It's over, Geukkie.' He whispered with sadness quivering in his throat.

Taegeuk turned around and looked up at Taekwon with water streaming down her face from her red puffy eyes, 'How could you say that?' She said through slits of her water soaked hair.

'She's still alive!' Taegeuk yelled.

Taekwon was taken aback, that was the loudest he had ever heard her voice reach.

'But the police aren't any closer to finding her,' Taekwon whispered, 'and there's a high chance that she isn't aliv-'

'Don't say it! Don't you dare say it! I want to keep doing this! I want to find her!' Taegeuk yelled again, 'even if it's just the memories that she left behind...' Her voice lowered, 'I want to find her.' She said as her voice condensed to a mere whisper.

'She won't be alive if we keep doing this! Why don't you understand!?' Taekwon yelled back out of rage, he watched Taegeuk's face sadden through his anger stained eyes.