"I'm sorry for being an a** earlier in the year. You're really brave." he said in a rush, flushing as he realized that everyone was looking at him. Alice could see Malcolm scowling at the student. It was hard on him too, he was the kind of man who protected his family, but he couldn't in this instance.

Alice looked at the cupcake, and instead of freaking out like everyone expected, she started to laugh. "It's alright. Not like I went around introducing myself by saying 'Hi, I'm Alice. My foster family makes the Bates look normal'." she waved his apology away. He did have to apologize yes, his actions had given him a negative reputation as far as she was concerned. But really, a cupcake apology? I'm sorry your foster brother routinely beat and raped you, here's some sugar to make you feel better? Alice just laughed softly to herself, though it did hold a slightly self mocking edge. She almost preferred the animosity to all the pity she could smell saturating the air as everyone softly whispered to each other about her.

Malcolm stood in the front of class and tried to direct everyone's attention to the sci-fi dystopian novel in their hands but not a single student seemed to give a flying blue penguin about the book. Not that you could blame them, the seniors had all just gotten back to school after their eleven day vacation. It's hard to get back into the discipline required to study. And the distraction and general air of can't-be-bothered-to-give-a-crap-about-school continued on into her next class.

Butch walked her to class as had long become the tradition, though now Sammy joined them so she could steal some smoochies from her boyfriend. And Gabby grabbed Alice at the door and marched with her head held high to their usual seats. Thankfully Alice's science class friend pointedly did not discuss the widespread news about Alice's history. Instead she passed a note to Ace that was completely unexpected.

DJ Mask has been contacted to do our Prom! You're the best!

Alice read the note and swallowed her laugh. She looked at Gabby and grinned, giving her a thumbs up. So Lexi had made the request even though Alice had brought the suggestion forward. Maybe the hostile blonde was becoming less.... volatile?

I rock like that. Actually I'm really all the awesome in the world and you all just borrow it from me.

She wrote back to her friend, though the good humour was an act on her behalf. She was thrilled about the whole DJ Mask and prom thing, but right now worrying over prom was the least of her concerns. Chief among her stress triggers were the fact that Stuart was after her, everyone knew about her, Malcolm's parents disapproved of their relationship and all the seniors were waiting for the early acceptance letters to come out from the colleges and universities. Thanks to Malcolm and West she already had a date, and a dress. So it was pretty low on her list of things to gnaw her nails over.

Wow, easy patting yourself on the back there, don't want you to pull a muscle. Seriously though, how are you holding up?

Gabby wrote back, unable to resist the elephant in the room anymore. Alice took in a deep breath, trying to quell the waves of nausea that stole over her for a moment. She released the breath carefully, not wanting anyone to hear the sigh. She scribbled her answer down and sent it back to Gabby.

I've lived with the knowledge for years. It's you guys who are new to the dog and pony show. It'll blow over as the next big gossip takes up everyone's attention. Just grin and bear it I guess.

Gabby nodded, seeming to be satisfied by that answer. She switched the note passing back to babbling about her own gossip, and Alice was filled in on all the doings of the nexy year down. Gabby was one of those bright students who got special dispensation to skip ahead in certain classes. So while she was a grade eleven student, she was doing grade twelve science block because she was keen that way.