Chapter 23

"Today is a special day, does anyone know why it's a special day?" Mr. Johnson said.

"Your wife finally came back to you?" Jason joked. Everyone in the class laughed.

"Did your mom finally come back to you Jason?" I tested him. The room became dead silent. Jason slowly turned around and faced me. I could see the anger in his eyes. I love it. I winked at him knowing the fact it'll make him even more angry.

"Okay lets save all of this shade for later, today is a special day because your poems are due today" everyone in the room groaned. Fuck. I forgot all about the project. I was way too caught up in so many things lately I didn't even have the time to work on it. And I couldn't make any excuses because we did have 3 weeks to do it. Great now I'm going to fail this class. I lowered my head hoping he wouldn't call on me first.

"Now who wants to go first" He started scanning the room for any volunteers. Luckily some person all the way in the back had their hand raised. Mr. Johnson called on that person and told them to come to the front and share their poem.

The person got out of their seat and started walking up to the front of the class. He slowly removed the hoodie that was on his head. His face was revealed. I gasped when I saw who it was. Nick. This boy finally showed up to class. This day should be marked down in the calendar.

"My name is Nick Elgort for those of you who don't know me" he spoke lowly.

"Aren't you Sam's new bitch" some kid rudely yelled out. He stared right at me and smiled.

"My poem is about a very special person I've got to know these past couple of weeks. She was a stranger to me at first but then it felt like I've known her my whole life" he said. I began to blush.

"Enough with the love story, let's here the poem we don't have all day" Jason interrupted. Jerk.

Nick ignored him and had his full attention on me, as if I was the only person sitting in this room.

"You may start now" Mr. Johnson said.

Nick looked nervous. He cleared his throat "I love you." I waited for him to continue but he just stood there. Everyone looked at each other confused. Mr. Johnson was confused himself. Why do I feel like those words were directed at me. Oh god, why me.

"I thought you wrote a poem Nick" Mr. Johnson said to him.

"That was my poem" he responded.

"How could three words be a poem, dumbass" Jason added.

Nick's eyes went cold. He looked like he was just seconds away from kicking Jason's ass, I would actually love to see that happen.

"A simple three words could have the biggest meaning. You wouldn't know anything about those three words would you?" He said to Jason.

"I know it's a load of bullshit" Jason said.

"Well maybe its a load of bs to you because you're afraid of those three words, that's probably the reason why you chase after multiple girls rather than chasing after one" he smirked at him. Burn! Someone please give this boy an award for this.

Everyone stared at Jason waiting for his response. Silence came from him. It's about time someone shut him up for good.

"Okay you can go have a seat now Nick, I'm gonna give you a D for your poem, it had to be a page long not three words" Mr. Johnson wrote down Nick's final grade on his clipboard.

"Okay who wants to go next" he called out. Everyone avoided making eye contact with him. That's when Mr. Johnson faced me. Fuck why didn't I turn away. I awkwardly smiled at me.

"Sam you look like you want to share out your poem" he said.

"Can you call on someone else I'm actually sick" I faked coughed trying to make it look convincing. "My throat hurts, I think I have bronchitis so I won't be able to speak" bronchitis? I could've thought of anything and I chose bronchitis?

"I guess you want an F on your project" he raised an eyebrow at me.

"You don't have to do that, just slid that A in there" I gave him a sincere smile. He had a serious look on his face. I groaned and forced myself to get up. I walked to the front of the class. All eyes were now on me. Don't fuck up Sam.

"Where is your poem?" Mr. Johnson asked.

I tried to think of a quick excuse. "It's in my mind, papers are too overrated anyways I'm trying to save some trees"

I could see Jason smirking at me, patiently waiting for me to mess up. I wish I could smack that smirk right off of his face.

I got into the most dramatic pose as if I was in one of those old black and white movies where they have drama in almost every scene. Yeah I'm definitely going to embarrass myself.

"its a metephor, see you put the killing thing right between your teeth but you dont give it the power to do its killing" I began. But Jason's laughter rudely interrupted me.

"That's not a poem, that's a quote from The fault in our stars" he said while he was historically dying at his seat.

"I have never heard of that movie" I lied. It was actually one of my favorite movies of all time.

"Yeah you did, we saw it together remember back when we were---" he paused.

"back when we were best friends" I finished his sentence. Mr. Johnson, Jennifer and everyone else in the room stared at us.

"Yeah unfortunately, you were the one who destroyed that friendship Jason" I said.

"Now it's all my fault?" His voice got louder.

"Yes Jason it is, you know why because you were the one who decided to leave me for good and not be by my side anymore, it's all your fault everything is your fault!" I yelled back at him.

"Well maybe I was trying to protect you!" He spat back.

"From what!? Protect me from what Jason!"

"From myself!" He shouted.

"Why would you protect me from yourself, when you're the only person that matters to me!" I was shocked at the words that slipped out of my mouth.

"Because I love you Sam!" His final words struck my heart. I was speechless. I didn't expect that at all. Neither did everyone else because their eyes were wide open and their mouths dropped open.

Jason stormed out the room and slammed the door shut behind him. Mr. Johnson started clapping. Was he serious.

"In all of my years of teaching I've never saw a more dramatic scene, bravo" he continued clapping. "Sam I'm going to have to give you an A for that perfect skit by the way"

"Mr. Johnson that wasn't planned out" I said quietly.

"Oh damn...you still get an A for entertaining me" I couldn't argue with that.

When I headed back to my seat, Jennifer stared at me. I could see the pain and heartbreak in her eyes. I knew she was hurt. And I'm the cause for it. I felt so bad. I know how much she liked Jason deep down inside but I couldn't control his words. "I'm sorry" I whispered to her when I walked right past her. She weakly smiled at me and wiped her tears away.

-----------------------------------------------------
SORRY I COULDN'T UPDATE YESTERDAY, BUT I HOPE YOU'RE LOVING THESE TWO CHAPTERS

(CONTINUE READING)