28 - Road to Recovery

"Where the hell are they?" Sam said.

"I don't know, they're your family."

"And he's your boyfriend." Sam walked through the house, finding a note in the kitchen. "Here's something."

'Dean was sick. He was upset. And like a genius he drove the car. You can guess where that got him. — John'

"I think he's in the hospital," Sam muttered.

"Shit what?" Cas said. "No. Is he okay?"

"No idea," Sam said. "We should go over there now."

Cas was already out the door.

He drove them to the hospital, speeding at dangerous speeds. Cas pretty much jumped out of the car and ran inside, up to the front desk.

"We're looking for a Dean Winchester," he said. "Is he here?"

The person nodded. "No visitors allowed, not until his condition is more stable."

"You have to let us see him," Cas said. "Please."

"I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to give permission for that."

"Is he okay?"

"I'm not sure."

Cas swore, and Sam nudged him and pointed to John and Mary in the room.

"Mom, Dad," Sam said, running over to them. "What happened?"

"We got a call at 3am," John said. "Saying Dean was found in an upturned car. They say he rounded a corner too fast, flipped the car."

"They say he's going to be fine," Mary said. "When he wakes up at least."

"Why was he driving at 3 am?" Sam asked.

"You heard him on Sunday," John said. "He wanted to see Cas. The road he was found on was halfway between our house and theirs."

"Oh god it's my fault," Cas said. "I could've gotten him killed."

"But you didn't," Mary said. "Cas looked around you. The colours are still there."

"Yeah but..." Cas stopped before saying they weren't bright. Because they were. They were as bright as they were supposed to be. "What? I don't..."

"You're not mad," Mary said. "You've forgiven him. So the colours are normal."

"But he could've died," Cas muttered.

"Don't beat yourself up over it Cas," Sam said. "It's like blaming Gabe for losing my memories because he told me to get money from you guys."

"True," Cas said. "But still."

"Everything's going to be fine, don't dwell on what's happened," Mary said. "Think of this as a new start, you and Dean can forget everything that happened and be normal again."

Cas sighed but nodded. "How long until we can see him?"

"We should be able to tomorrow," John said. "Come by after school. You should probably go home or now."

Cas nodded and trudged out to his car, driving home carefully because there's no need for another car accident.

~~

Sam walked into school the next day, and saw Gabriel standing in a hallway, watching as he passed. Then he saw his locker.

The paper that had been used to cover it was gone, showing the bright pink flowers beneath. Sam actually laughed when he saw it, walking over to trace over the flowers. There was a note on the locker...but he didn't take it.