44 - The End is Nigh

Analetta crossed her arms and leaned in towards me as we sat at her kitchen table. "I don't know what will happen. Even I'm not completely in power. This spell I put on you leaves your true fate in the hands of those in higher power than me." She sighed and flashed her wicked smile. "I guess now would be an appropriate time to explain."
"Explain what?" I asked.
"Your entire life." She sniggered. "You didn't think the Saviour was picked at random, did you? That wouldn't be useful to me. Not at all." She leaned back in her chair, twirling a piece of her hair around her index finger. "I knew from the moment your Mother walked into this very building that you were the perfect human. I could smell your integrity, your bravery-"
I snorted. "Brave? Me? No. I'm not brave." I felt pathetic admitting it.
"Tabitha, I'm a witch. I know what I'm talking about, and believe me, you're braver than most. Braver than you give yourself credit for, anyway. You agreed to watch people die, all for the sake of others, no?"
The edges of my mouth twitched slightly. She had a point.
Her eyes narrowed slightly. "I planned your entire life out for you. Your Father's actions were all a part of my plan - sorry about that. I know you'll find that quite upsetting, but-" She shrugged. "-I'm a witch. We're quite ruthless." She cackled. "I had to get you into that house somehow."
"So, you were brainwashing me when I was younger?" I felt anger building up inside me. So, Dad wouldn't have killed anybody if Mum had never met Analetta? None of this would be happening, and I would live an ordinary life? However, when I thought of never having met Seth, Elias or even Kimberly, I quickly shoved those questions and thoughts away.
Her grin widened to an unbelievable length, and she stopped twirling the hair, leaving her finger suspended in a web of chocolate-coloured curls.
"I'd prefer 'implanting tiny pieces of advice that would prove quite useful in the future into your tiny, impressionable mind' - but yes, essentially."
I inhaled a deep breath through my nostrils to keep myself calm.
"Are you sure this is what you want to do? I've spoken with Elias and Seth. They understand that no matter what happens, they might never see you again."
"Did you tell them?" My anger grew. "Did you know I'd choose to do this?"
"No. I didn't. And not this exactly. You've actually surprised me a little." Analetta took my hands in hers. "Are you sure this is what you truly want to do? You can always simply leave. Carver will have been subject to torment, then, no? I will be satisfied."
"This is all a game to you?" I laughed in disbelief.
"Witches are complicated beings. We love to play with the feelings of the mortal - like when I took Seth away from you - and yet, can still love and feel compassion. At times." She chuckled. "But, dear Tabitha, what lies ahead is uncertain. What you propose to do is a huge commitment, and requires bravery unknown to most of mankind. Are you sure you're ready?"
"As ready as I've ever been. This is the right thing to do."
"But is that 100% ready? I do want for you to be sure."
My confidence wavered. "I am scared. Really scared."
"Mi dulce, fear exists to keep you safe from harm. Courage exists to help you realise that fear is less important to you than another's soul. And I can tell you, there's courage radiating from you."
I could see sparkling tears forming in Analetta's eyes. "This is why I picked you. I knew from the beginning."
There was a moment of silence between us.
"I'll make some tea and sweets."