13

Elias placed an arm around my waist and pulled me closer as he kissed me. Due to my initial shock, I didn't immediately pull away, but when I realised that what was happening was real, I pushed my hands against Elias' chest, forcing him off of me.
"No, Elias," I almost squeaked the words, "I'm sorry."
I snaked around him and rushed out of the room, despite Elias calling apologies after me, begging me to stay and talk about it.

"What's wrong, Tabitha?" Mum asked at the dinner table.
"Nothing," I muttered and looked up at her, pulling the best puzzled expression I could.
"Tabbi, you're hardly eating."
She threw her fork down.
"What's up?" her voice became lower, growing anger clear in her tone, "don't tell me - it's Elias again, isn't it?"
"I'm fine. I promise."
I tried to eat as best I could after this, even though I felt extremely nauseous.
What would it mean for our friendship?

"I'm really sorry, Tabitha."
As I was lying on my bed, replaying the scene over and over in my head, Elias slipped into my room.
"It's fine. But can you leave me here alone for a while, please?" I turned to him as I spoke, my voice becoming quieter and more cowardly as my eyes met with his.
"I won't do that again. Not without making sure you want to. I promise."
He shifted about nervously as he awaited my reply.
"Elias ... why?" I asked.
He smiled and looked at the floor, murmuring, "I really like you. Sorry, but I can't help my feelings."
There was a pause whilst I registered his confession.
"I know you can't," was all I replied, and immediately a heavy ball of guilt manifested itself in the pit of my stomach.
"I'll leave you to do whatever, then," he smiled, if a little sadly, and waved slightly before leaving. I sighed when he left, not knowing what to do with myself.
"Don't worry. Elias likes you, and he's a nice guy anyway. He won't hold it against you, if you really do have no feelings for him."
I sat up suddenly as I heard Kimberly's voice.
"Hello," I said dryly, but as politely as possible.
"Sorry, we haven't spoken before. I'm Kimberly. It's nice to meet you," her eyes widened, "Elias told me about what happened already, by the way! I wasn't spying. I'm like a little sister to him, because he used to be really close to my brother - but he wouldn't want me to talk about that."
I laughed, "don't worry, it's fine. Why wouldn't he want you to talk about it?"
"I can't tell you. He wouldn't want me to. Anyway, the reason I'm here is because you're the closest thing to a girl my age that's been here since I returned. I wanted to be friends, if you'd like?" she all of a sudden went back into her panic mode, "sorry, I know we've only just met, it's just that I get so lonely. I try to make friends with girls in the village, but then they ask why I don't go to school. If I tell them I'm homeschooled, they make fun of me and don't want to talk to me. Mum says it's best not to try to get friendly with girls in the village anymore, so the only company I have is her, Elias and sometimes my brother," she beamed at me, "I know you're older than me by about four years, but that doesn't mean we can't get along."
"I'd love to get to know you," I smiled back at her, "it'd be nice to have a girl I can actually speak to in this house, besides mum."
"That's great to hear!" she could hardly contain her excitement, even as she continued, "I've got to go now, mum wanted me back before seven. Seth is here today - he's my brother - so I don't want to miss him. But I'll speak to you when I can?"
"Okay. Enjoy seeing your brother," I giggled cheerfully at her joy as she skipped out of the room. She seemed like a really sweet girl. However, I couldn't help but wonder, being very confused, why her brother was only here today, since everybody else seemed to stay in the mansion. I thought about this for a while, and my final thought before I slipped into a deep sleep was this: would I ever get to meet him?

After school the next day, I returned home to find Elias in my bedroom, sat on my bed.
"Hi." I struggled to look him straight in the eye as I greeted him.
"Hey. I don't want to forget yesterday, but can we still act the same with each other?"
I nodded and smiled, but it wasn't enough to convince him.
"Tabbi," he sighed, "I'm really sorry. But I swear I won't act on my feelings again if you don't want me to. I'll pretend I don't feeling anything for you, I won't do or say anything-"
"Elias. It's fine." I smiled. "Really."
Elias stood. "That's good to hear. I was wondering if you wanted to go get a coffee again?"
"I have homework to do ton-"
"So you are going to avoid me. I knew it. I'm so stupid." He clenched his fists and kicked at the floor.
"Elias, no-"
"I understand. I'll leave you alone for a while." Elias aggressively pushed past me and left. I stood in the same position for a few minutes, hurting at the thought of losing a friend, before I heard a voice behind me.
"Don't worry, Elias is just really childish."
It was the same voice I'd heard convincing Kyle to let go of my neck. However, when I turned to see who the voice belonged to, there was - once again - nobody to be seen.