14

"Elias?" I called through the hallways. "Elias! Where are you?"
I ended up by the basement's entrance. I stared at it for a few moments, thinking about my last experience in there, but decided that - since I knew about the people in the house now and they seemed to think I was an important person - this would be an ordinary trip to the basement. Or, at least, a relatively uneventful one. I opened the basement door and shouted Elias' name down the stairs. A few seconds passed with no reply, and I decided to make my way into the basement to see if he was down there and simply ignoring me. He couldn't sneak past me on the staircase, since I had the ability to see dead people when they'd prefer not to be seen, so there was no way he could escape. I suddenly heard footsteps running up the stairs.
"Elias? Is that you?" I asked.
"You can hear me?" The mysterious voice that had saved me from Kyle took on a surprised tone this time.
"Yes." Next I asked a question I had been pondering for a while now. "Are you Seth?" I heard the footsteps run back down the staircase, so I switched the light on. "So you are?"
I didn't get a reply, so I ran down the staircase myself. "Hello?"
"So it's true. You do have the traits."
"Where are you?" I walked slowly around the basement, looking behind any boxes or other items I saw that someone could hide behind. "Come out, it's not like I can hurt you."
I heard footsteps to my left, and turned to see a boy slowly coming out from behind an old and presumably broken freezer.
"Yeah. I'm Seth." He said.
"Hi, I'm Tabitha." I smiled, trying to make myself seem harmless and approachable.
"I knew that already. Kimberly was really happy when you agreed to be friends yesterday." A small smile appeared on his face, and he stepped closer. "Thanks. She gets quite lonely."
"It's fine, I wanted to. She seems really sweet." I remembered why I had came down here. "Oh, have you seen Elias?"
His face darkened. "No. I haven't. I don't want to, either."
"Oh..." I didn't know what else to say to this.
"Sorry. I'm sure he'll be around here somewhere. Maybe in his Mum's room."
"Thanks. Will I be seeing you around here often?"
"No. I don't stay here like the others." Avoiding speaking about Elias seemed to improve his mood.
"Why is that?" I sat down on a small set of drawers.
"I thought you had to find Elias?" His mood soured once more.
"That can wait. He isn't expecting me. It was going to be uncomfortable anyway, I need more time to prepare myself." I laughed. It felt like I was speaking more to myself than to Seth.
"I see." He looked suspiciously at me. "Don't you feel the same? Kimberly told me what happened."
"That doesn't matter. I wouldn't want to bore you with that stuff." I laughed nervously. "So, why don't you stay here?"
"I'd rather not talk about it. I'm going to have to leave soon, anyway."
"Is it because of Elias?"
A few moments passed before Seth looked as though he was about to answer. However, a loud bang and the lights going out interrupted.
"Tabitha, you're going to listen to me very carefully." Doctor Carver's voice hissed down the staircase. "Who were you speaking to? Who's down here?"
"It was Seth."
"Seth? He isn't here. He came and left yesterday, so don't you dare try to lie to me. Kyle, is it you, like we planned?"
"Planned?" I asked, starting to worry. What was happening?
"Kyle?" Doctor Carver yelled. A short time later, I was thrown to the floor and hands were pressed on my shoulders.
"What are you doing, Will?" I heard Seth's voice. "You're beginning to act as rude as Kyle."
"Where is that stupid boy?" Doctor Carver's breath was horrible as he continued to hiss about how he could never rely on other people to help him with his plans.
"Let go of her, William."
"Sorry I'm late, Doc." Kyle's voice had a casual tone to it as he came down the stairs.
"Have you got it?" Doctor Carver sounded excited.
"William. I told you to let go." Seth growled.
"You won't stop us, Seth. Stop trying to scare us when you have no intention to take action." Doctor Carver responded.
"Here." I heard Kyle's voice.
"What are you doing?" I whispered.
The lights came back on.
"I turned them off so you couldn't try to run, but since you're pinned down now..." Doctor Carver looked at Kyle. Seth stood behind Doctor Carver, making no effort to help me.
"This is an item of Kyle's. It's a watch given to him by his Father. It was the only thing given to him by his Father other than life, and his Father's only act of kindness towards him. This makes it his most precious possession." Doctor Carver explained.
"I don't think you should do this." Seth said calmly. "It isn't fair on her. She doesn't know what you're doing."
Doctor Carver sighed. "Seth, you'd know better than anybody that words don't solve anything, having begged for your life to no avail when your own Father was murdering you." Doctor Carver laughed. "If you're not going to take any course of action, I'd appreciate it if you stayed silent."

"Get off her. Right now." Elias' voice yelled from the top of the staircase.