32

"You're not." Seth jumped up. "I'm not letting that happen to you, do you understand? Elias, we won't." Seth turned to face Elias. "I know you hate me. I know we can never be friends. But we have to work together; for Tabitha."
Elias stayed still for a moment, before getting glossy-eyed and nodding. The next scene was the most heartwarming thing I'd seen in a while: Elias pulled Seth into a hug. A cold one, but a hug.
"Yeah. So far, we've made a good team." Elias smiled.
"I agree. We did a good job on Kyle."
They both laughed and then looked at me in unison.
"Tabbi." Seth walked over to me and knelt down, taking my head in his hands. "Do you know exactly who's deaths you still have to see?"
I thought carefully for a second, before nodding and answering. "Doctor Carver; Mary; Elias; Samantha; Kimberly; Abigail; Danielle and April, but theirs come together. Why?"
"Because we're going to steal their items." He whispered. "We'll hide them around. That should slow down Will and his plans whilst we work something out." He grinned at me, and I smiled back. Then, he let go and was so eager to leave the room that he almost stumbled into Elias. Elias rushed out of the room, but Seth stayed behind a second longer. Before following Elias, Seth winked at me.

I decided to spend the night with Mum, watching movies and talking. I almost started crying a couple of times, knowing that I may die soon. I hadn't wanted to think about exactly what was happening, but the more I thought about it, the more I didn't want to die. The more I realised I'd be leaving Mum alone. I didn't know and didn't want to know how she'd deal with me being dead, or 'missing'. I just hoped that between myself, Seth and Elias we could make everything right. The only way I could see me escaping death was by leaving the town or convincing Analetta to free me of my Saviour status. Mum would never leave the area, we didn't even have the money for it. Analetta would never be convinced to remove me from my position as Saviour; witches seemed like uncaring individuals who enjoyed seeing where their deviance landed everybody involved. It was nearly 100% certain that I'd be dead soon.

After school the next day, Doctor Carver was waiting for me near the mansion.
"You!" He grabbed my shirt with both hands and almost lifted me into the air. "What have you done?!"
"What are you talking about?" I struggled to break free of his grasp, but he held on tight.
"You know what I'm talking about. The objects! They're gone. Where are they?" He shook me.
"I honestly have no idea." I kicked him, but he didn't move a muscle.
"Yes you do. You can't have moved them yourself, so who did it for you? Was it Seth? Elias?"
"Yeah, it was us." Doctor Carver dropped me and we both turned to the source of the voice. Seth was leaning against the manor's gate.
"Shouldn't you be out looking for them?" Seth raised his eyebrows.
"What do you think I've been doing all day? And you-" he turned to me, "-not that it matters now, but you were supposed to be at the Meeting House during your lunch break. You know what that means?"
"It means you have to go looking for the items. You won't hurt her, Carver; you're too desperate."
William jumped on the spot a few times like a toddler having a tantrum, before darting his eyes from me to Seth repeatedly. "No. I won't. But when I get the items back - and I will - and Tabitha refuses even once more to watch all the rest, she really is of no use to us anymore."
We watched him walking down the street for a while before Seth faced me and smiled. "Elias is waiting in the basement. We need to come up with a plan."

Seth sat next to me, and Elias sat across from us. We had a drawer from a cupboard in between us that we had turned upside down. Me and Seth watched Elias scrawl the word 'ideas' in a bubble in the middle of a piece of paper that sat on our makeshift desk.
"So." Elias threw the pen down. "Ideas?"
We all shared dry laughter before silence filled the basement again.
"My Mum will never move." I said. "I can't tell her the truth, she'd just laugh. So what else could I say?"
Elias' eyes lit up.
"What?" Seth leaned in, eager to know what was going on in Elias' ghostly brain.
"Tabbi, you've complained about me to your Mum countless times, right?"
I turned red with embarrassment. "Yeah, sorr-"
"No, no. It doesn't matter." A huge smile appeared on his face. "How about, over the next couple of days, we stage some stuff to make out like I'm stalking you?"
"You really think that'll work?" Seth's face took on a look of disappointment.
"Maybe."
"Or she'll just get a restraining order." I sighed. "I don't think that'll be enough to make her move us away."
Elias' smile faded a little, but he picked up the pen anyway. "I'll write it down, just incase."
"Good, just where I want you."
A voice muttered.
Elias, Seth and I immediately started shooting looks at each other.
"You heard that, right?" I asked. But, before anyone could answer, someone jumped out from behind an old wardrobe nearby and pounced on me. That someone was Doctor Carver, and he was holding a silver baby's rattle.