33

"Tabs!" Seth tried to grab my hand, but it was too late. The rattle had made contact with my skin long enough, and everything was going blurry. As I was in the darkness, I registered what object it was.
"She already picked it out." I said to myself, sad at the thought. But I didn't have time to ponder on any thoughts, as I was soon in the Doll Cabinet. Danielle was tied to the table, just waking up, whilst Peter sharpened his saw. Danielle started to scream as soon as she noticed the saw. She struggled against the straps that bound her to the table, but to no avail.
"You're never leaving me. I'm keeping you forever." Peter gave his wife a loving smile. It made my stomach turn; it was the type of smile a husband would flash his wife when telling her he loved her. If that was his way of telling her he loved her, it was extremely sociopathic.
"Peter, what are you doing?!" Danielle shouted, but then turned her attention the the ceiling. "Help!" She screamed at the top of her lungs, starting to cry. "Help me! Someone! Plea-ea-ease!"
"Nobody can hear you, my darling, and you know it." He finished sharpening his saw, and banged his palms down either side of his wife's head, causing her to jump as much as the ties would let her. She started to sob harder, but he pressed his lips to hers.
"There, there, Danni; I won't let you rot away. I'm going to preserve you so well that you'll last as long as I live, at the very least."
Danielle's face suddenly switched to a look of extreme terror. "No! Pete, our baby! Our baby!"
I wanted to close my eyes and block my ears. It was heartbreaking.
Peter ignored her cries, "now, we'll begin."
Danielle continued to scream about the baby, but it didn't get her anywhere. Her voice soon became dry and hoarse.
"First-" Peter lifted the saw in a very theatrical way. "The arms."
"Please! Peter! You monster!" Soon, the words she screamed turned simply to screams of pain. I watched him saw all of her limbs off, and watched as she slipped in and out of consciousness. He pulled out the torso he planned to use for a new project, and grabbed his wife's face.
"Sorry, I can't use your torso. I'm saving it for later. I need the baby, you see, I'm going to make a crib." He winked at her.
She wasn't screaming anymore - she was too out of it, and probably didn't have the energy left - but silent tears streamed down her cheeks constantly.
"Please, not the baby." She begged quietly. "Please."
Not even three minutes later, Danielle's eyes closed for the very last time. Peter stopped sewing to look at her. He checked her pulse and tutted. "I told you you'd never leave me."
I groaned when I realised that the worst part was coming up. April.
"I'll wait a bit." He muttered to himself. "Then all I'll have to do is open her up."
Even though I knew it wouldn't do anything, I ran at him and started to punch.
"You disgusting pig! Motherfucker!"
He hacked off Danielle's head along with the neck, sewing it to the rest of the 'doll'. My vision went blurry before he'd finished. I was confused at first, but then realised what had happened. I didn't have to watch him remove April from the womb, I only had to see her die. She'd passed away before he'd gotten to removing her.

When I returned to the basement, I heard a cheer from Doctor Carver.
"Six to go!" He laughed with delight. "If I can only find those damn items..."
I noticed that William was still holding the rattle and breathed a sigh of relief.
"Tabbi." Seth took my hand and pulled me close, his eyes locked on Doctor Carver. Elias had his arms around William's waist, but he didn't struggle.
"I will find those items, you three." He elbowed Elias in the ribs, making him double over. "And I will find them soon. You're not getting away, Tabitha."
Carver went to leave, but Elias yanked a rusty coat rack out of a pile of junk and whacked him around the head with it. Seth laughed, and we kept our eyes on a very still William for about 20 seconds before he stood. Carver laughed himself, shook his head and said, "pathetic." Before proceeding to leave. This time he made it out of the basement without any injuries.
"That was fun to watch." Seth complimented Elias. Elias looked slightly uncomfortable, but returned Seth's mischievous grin.
At the same time, they suddenly remembered the situation and looked at me with concerned expressions.
"Don't worry, Tabitha; we'll make sure you get away." Elias gave me a reassuring smile.
Those words made me sad. "If I leave town, I can't ever come back. And you can't leave town."
Elias glanced at Seth. He must have known that the thought of never seeing Seth again pained me more than the thought of never seeing Elias again. I almost felt guilty, but I knew that it was understandable. Elias had been a good friend - despite his flaws - but I was in love with Seth.
"We'll work something out." Seth tried to make me feel better, but I could see in his eyes that he was skeptical himself.

I lay fully awake in bed that night. At the back of my mind, I knew what I had to do. I knew there was no other choice. I just didn't want to accept it yet. But I had to be brave, and I had to accept it soon, otherwise I'd lose Elias and Seth forever.