42

I was relieved that I didn't have to watch Carver's experiments on his wife. I tapped my foot on the ground repeatedly, whistling softly as I waited to be returned to the basement. Not that it would be any more comforting; I still had Carver's death to watch.

"Where is she?!" When I returned, I was confused by the voice I was hearing. It was higher-pitched than the voices I was used to hearing, but it was still very aggressive.
"She's doing this by her own free will. I don't want to hurt you, little Kimberly, so please, let go of me." Carver's voice was calm and almost fatherly as he spoke to Kim - quite the contrast to his usual self.
"There you are!" Kim ran towards me and stood in front of me when I returned. "Don't worry, I'll get you out of here."
I smiled. She was such a sweet kid.
"Precious." Carver chuckled. "I'll let you go, for now."
"Yay!" Kimberly turned to face me with a bright, toothy smile. "Tabitha, I'm scary enough. I'm just as good as Elias and Seth at protecting you!"
"Yeah, you are. Thanks, Kim." I decided not to crush her little heart. Kimberly grabbed my hand, giving William a 'warning' look as we passed him. When she looked away to see where we were walking, Carver slipped his item into my jacket pocket. We nodded at each other, and Kimberly continued to hold my hand until we were out of the basement.
"I was worried he was gonna hurt you." Kimberly blushed. "I've not been listening in, by the way! Seth told me what's going on."
My heart fluttered. "You've spoken to Seth? Since I went away?"
She nodded. "Yeah. He isn't too thrilled."
I looked at my bracelet.
Kimberly tried to act more cheerful again, in an attempt to make me cheer up, too. "He told me about the bracelet, as well! When he was going to buy it. But he picked out all the charms himself; I just told him where he could get a pretty bracelet."
Thinking of Seth made me feel sickly and upset, so I turned my attention to the plush in Kim's hand. "If you don't mind me asking, Kim, why is that your precious item?" I nodded my head towards the plush.
She looked down at it, her eyes glazing over. "It was a Christmas gift from my girlfriend. Before I died."
"Aw, that's so sweet. Did she make it herself?"
Kimberly nodded, and her happy expression slowly faded. "She visited my grave every day for about three months. That was until her Mum told her she had to get over me, and that there was no way that'd happen if she kept going to my grave. 'You're only twelve.' She told her. 'It can't have been that serious. You'll have loads more crushes in your lifetime.' Only three months after I died."
"That's awful." I genuinely meant it.
"I have no idea how she is now. If she's married, if she still thinks of me, and wonders if we would've stayed together. That's the stuff I think about...but I really do hope she found happiness and love with somebody else." She sighed sadly. "I never showed myself to her, either. She wouldn't be able to handle that, and she would never believe I was real."
I was about to talk about how sorry I was, when she suddenly perked up again.
"Anyways, all that matters at this point in time is that you're safe." Kimberly beamed. "Seth will be happy."
Oh, Kimberly. It was clear that Seth hadn't told her the whole story.

"Tabbi. You're home."
I'd gone for a walk later on that day, and Elias had noticed me as I was walking towards the jewellery shop.
"Elias. I didn't think I'd see you again."
He pulled me into a tight cuddle.
"Elias. Carver didn't have your item."
"I know." I could tell he was smiling.
"It isn't funny, Elias. I need that item."
"Why do you want to watch me die so much?" He let go of me, holding me away from him at arm's length, pouting.
"Please. I know what I'm doing. I'd like to decide what I do with my own life."
He sighed. "I'll think about it." He grumbled. "I'm gonna go back to the house now. I've gotta wrap something up for you."
"Elias!" I scolded.
"I'd like to decide what I do with my own money." He stuck his tongue out at me, before giving me a small wave and walking away. I turned to watch him go, laughing lightly. I guess it would be wrong of me to argue with that.

I looked into the window of the jewellery shop. Then I looked down at my bracelet. Seth had really picked all of the best charms; I didn't like the other charms as much. Would the shop assistants remember Seth? Would they be able to tell me how he was acting when he bought the bracelet?
Absorbed in thought, I almost didn't notice the cheery assistant waving for me to come into the shop. I flashed a polite smile, and walked into the shop. Why was I called in?
"Sorry." She apologised almost a soon as I entered the shop. "That was quite rude of me. It's just, I noticed your bracelet."
I looked at my bracelet, and she reached towards it. She looked at me, as if to say: 'may I?' I smiled and moved my arm further towards her.
The young woman held my wrist gently, inspecting the bracelet.
"I knew I recognised it!" She let go of me, and leaned on the counter.
"You remember who bought it?" I asked.
She nodded, her smile growing until it showed her teeth. "Yeah. I'm guessing he's your boyfriend?"
I blushed and shook my head quickly.
She looked surprised. "Oh! I was so sure. He sure acted like you two were an item. I mean, look at the heart charm. If that doesn't scream love, I don't know what does."
"I think he just thought it was a cute little charm that I'd like." I giggled nervously.
She smirked, and shook her head. "If you were here when he was buying it, you'd think otherwise."
"Why?" I asked, intrigued and giddy with excitement.
"It's not really my place to say." She sighed. "I'll tell you a few things: I don't remember all of our customers. There's no way I could. But this boy..." She paused, laughing. "This boy. He didn't even need any help, like most of the guys that come in here do. Plus, he was so happy when he was buying it. I could see he was excited to give it to you. But I got worried, yesterday. I'd been smiling a lot since then; young love is really adorable to me."
"Why were you worried?" I, too, leaned against the counter, getting myself comfortable.
"He was in here, asking if it'd been returned. He seemed really down, too. I hope whatever you've said to him wasn't too harsh, he seems really sweet." She laughed and walked around to my side of the counter. "Anyway, sorry, kid. We're closing now. But I hope what I've said has enlightened you a little?"
I nodded, smiling. "You've been a great help. Thanks."

When we left the shop, I began to walk slowly back home, playing with the charms on my bracelet. I had to find Seth.