41

"Did you get Elias' item?" I asked, moving closer - reluctantly - to the items.
Carver's face and mood went sour. He didn't even answer with words; instead, he gave a short shake of his head and looked towards the items.
"I'm hoping he'll respect your desires and bring the item." He quickly snapped out of his daydream-like state. "Now, now! Come." He gestured for me to move closer still to the items. "Begin."
"I'll do it in my own time." I snapped. "This isn't my most favourite thing to do, you know."
"Just hurry, please!" He waggled his arms around in his desperation.
I scanned the items with my eyes, and my attention was drawn to a small plush toy that resembled Kimberly. Without uttering another word, I grabbed the plush.

In the blackness, I observed the doll. Had it been a gift from Seth? Alexander? Abigail? Someone else entirely? It was obviously handmade, so I could understand why it would be so special to her.

"Now, my little Kim, it's your turn."
I was snapped out of my thoughts when Alexander started to speak.
The bag was torn from Kim's head, and her gag was pulled down.
Immediately, Kim turned her head to face Seth. "Seth!" She screamed. "No! Seth!"
"Shut the fuck up." Alexander whacked Kimberly around the head with unbelievable force, causing Kimberly to wail louder.
"Why?" She screeched.
"My little Kim." Alexander moved behind her seat, preparing the blade - still dripping with Seth's blood - at the left side of her throat. Ready for a clean cut across.
"Any last words, sweetie?"
"Why?" She screamed. "Please, Daddy-" her sentence was cut short when Alexander moved the blade across her throat in one smooth, swift motion. I watched her choke on her own blood in the same way Seth and Abigail had, whilst Abigail thrashed beside her dying daughter. Soon after, I was returned to the darkness.

"Another three. Just three." I muttered to myself, tapping my toes on the ground nervously.
I threw the plush towards Carver when I returned, instantly grabbing a new item. Before I was returned to the darkness once more, I noticed the grin on William's face grow larger, and his fingers trembling with the anticipation.
"I don't know why he's so excited. He can't finish this today, if we don't have Elias' item." I mumbled to myself. In that moment, a new worry was ignited within me. What if Carver got bored of the torment and killed me because Elias wouldn't hand over his item? Then I would have died for nothing by the hand of one of the people I hated most. I grabbed my bracelet, nervously playing with the charms.

I was transported to the hallway my bedroom was in. I immediately saw Mary rocking back and forth on the floor, muttering to herself. The state she was always in, even in the present. I'd known already that this scene would make me lose some confidence in the decision I'd made.
"Worthless..." She mumbled. This startled me; she'd never managed actual words around me before. "Leave me alone! Alone." She shouted.
"Ah, my dear; there you are." Carver walked out of my bedroom, making me jump.
"They're hurting me again." Mary sobbed, scratching at her skin. "Make it stop."
"Only you can do that, my dearest." He began to walk past her, and pretended to stumble into a mirror that was on the opposite wall. He chuckled, "oops. Clumsy me." I saw his evil grin appear on his face as he walked away, but not before catching a glimpse of the shards of glass on the floor. I grimaced. What a monster. I thought.
"Stop!" Mary screamed, jumping up. "Shut up, shut up, shut up!" She yelled, grabbing her ears and violently shaking her head around. "I'm not a bad person." She cried, her sobs absolutely heartbreaking. "Stop scratching me!"
Her movement and sound suddenly stopped altogether, and she stared for a while at the shards of glass, unblinking.
"Yes." She laughed maniacally. "Good idea. I can get them off me." She bent down to pick up the largest shard of glass she could find, and admired it for a moment. "Get off me!" She slashed at her arm, making me wince. "Stop hurting me!" She continued to randomly slash at different parts of her body, and I gasped when she slashed her wrists without realising. Then she slashed the top of her thighs...she'd be dead soon. I took a quick glance at the item in my hand, noticing that it was an album. As Mary screamed and battled with her demons, I flicked through the album. I was her Wedding Album.
"They look so happy." I sighed. "Carver looks almost normal. If he'd stayed that way, none of this..." I trailed off. There was no point in acknowledging the 'ifs.' Life was what it was: I was the Saviour; I had to experience the horror of the house myself; I had to choose between two options. Option one: let Carver kill me, and release the spirits trapped in the town. The dream for the dead of the house. Or, option two: give the evil of the house what they deserved, and satisfy Analetta in the process. Those were the only two choices I had, and I'd made my decision. I couldn't change my mind now.