18

"I thought you'd left?" Elias almost spat the words out at Seth.
"I did. But I had to come back. I thought Kyle would have...ill intentions...after what happened today, and I was right."
Elias' eyes flashed. He turned to me. "Is this true, Tabbi?"
I looked at the floor and nodded slightly.
"I'll fucking..." Elias began.
"You'll what? You can't kill him, he's already dead."
"I'll hurt him. Badly."
"You won't. So I will." Seth replied.
Elias' eyes widened a little. "I will. This is Tabbi we're talking about, I don't care about what he did now."
"What do you mean?" I spoke up.
"Nothing." Elias looked worried for a second. "I didn't mean anything."
"So, should we go and find Kyle?" Seth stood.
"There's no 'we'. You're not joining me."
"I am and you can't stop me." Seth went to walk out of the room. "I'll meet you on the other side of the house."

When Seth had left, Elias hurried over to me. "Are you okay?" He lifted my chin to make me face him.
"Yeah. I'm fine." I managed a small smile.
"I'll stay here with you tonight, if you like?"
"It's fine. Seth's waiting for you anyway."
Elias' whole body stiffened.
"Why do you have such a problem with him? The things he said were awful-"
"The stuff he said was disgusting. I will never forgive him for what he said to me, Tabitha, and that's that. Me and Seth are done being friends, we're enemies." Elias snapped. "I'm gonna go find Kyle."
He stormed out of the room, leaving me alone. Being left alone, I didn't have anything to distract me from my thoughts, and I started to cry. I thought about what happened: what Kyle had said; Elias being angry with me; but, most importantly, what could have happened to me if Seth hadn't decided to come back to the house and interfere.

"Good morning, Tabitha." Seth was kneeling beside my bed when I woke up the next morning. His elbows were planted in my mattress and his chin was resting on his knuckles.
"Seth?" I mumbled, rubbing my eyes as they adjusted to the light. "What are you doing here?"
"I've been here all night. I came back after me and Elias beat up Kyle." He smiled and sat on the bed.
"You beat him?"
"Yeah. He was a bloody mess, but that's all we could do." He laughed. "I mean, it's not like we could kill him, is it? Unfortunately. Anyway, he'll have healed now, but at least he suffered for a bit." He stared down at me.
"Hey, you said you were here all night?" I sat up, feeling more awake now.
"Yeah. I came to check on you and tell you about Kyle, but you were asleep. You were having nightmares, so I stayed so I could comfort you."
I was surprised he would be so kind, having only met me the day before. "Wow." I breathed some sort of laugh. "Thank you, that's really nice of you."
"There's no need to thank me." He stood. "By the way, there's this place I wanted to show you. Wait outside the school for me today if I'm not already there, okay?"
I hesitated for a moment, studying his expression. It didn't seem sinister, so I agreed.

"I wonder what it is he wants to show me..." I muttered as I looked both to my left and to my right for the hundredth time outside of the school's main gates. It had been an hour since school had finished, and everywhere was deserted now. "I might just leave." I sighed. I put my earphones in, and whilst I was shuffling through songs on my phone, I turned to leave. However, straight away I collided with somebody.
"Sorry." Seth smirked, clearly trying to hold back a laugh.
"You scared me!" I gasped, taking out my earphones. "Where were you? And how did you appear so suddenly?"
"Wow, one question at a time, please." He laughed. "Your expression was hilarious."
"What took you so long?" I ignored the - quite honestly, adorable - fit of laughter coming from Seth.
"Kyle." His expression turned serious. "He happened to be leaving the house as I was walking past, and he attacked me. Thankfully, Will was there to stop any harm being done. However, then Will wanted to speak to me about you."
I didn't need to ask what about me was being discussed.
"So, shall we go?"
I followed Seth, and suddenly remembered the other question I'd had.
"Hey, how'd you appear so suddenly?" I looked up at him and furrowed my brow. "I can see you all when you don't want to be seen."
"You weren't paying attention." He grinned.

"Here we are!" We finally arrived at the place Seth so desperately wanted to show me.
"It's beautiful." I wasn't lying. It was a small section of forest not far from the meeting house, with a gorgeous lake and the prettiest little purple and blue flowers I'd ever seen.
"I come here when I'm stressed about things. Just to forget and relax." Seth took his shoes and socks off and sat with his feet in the lake. "I thought I'd show it to you so you could come here when you get stressed about the whole situation with the house and the Saviour business."
"Thanks, it's really nice here." I suddenly remembered what Doctor Carver had said yesterday. "Oh yeah, didn't Doctor Carver say we were having a meeting today?"
Seth's expression turned dark. "Yeah. He told me to have you there in an hour, no longer."
"Oh. So we'll have to leave soon?" I was disappointed. I wanted to stay a little longer.
"Yeah. But we - or just you, if you'd prefer - can come back here any time you like." Seth gave me a gentle smile.
The atmosphere that surrounded Seth was much calmer and more friendly than the atmosphere that surrounded Elias.