40

I pretended to be shocked to entertain Mum.
"Do you know why we're here?" Mum asked me as we sat down at a little round table. This back room appeared to be a small kitchen.
"Coffee with two sugars, no milk?" Analetta asked Mum.
"Same as back then." Mum smiled.
"I thought you two weren't on good terms?" I asked, confused as to why she would bring me here.
"Well, at your age, I'd be surprised if a couple of words could brainwash you."
"Tabitha." Analetta caught my attention, and when I turned to face her, she winked at me. "Coffee or tea?"
"White coffee, one sugar, please."
"This is where I first met Analetta." Mum explained. "When I was pregnant with you. It's strange, thinking you've been here before." She laughed lightly. "That was almost seventeen years ago, now."
"I told her she'd have a healthy baby girl." Analetta paused to stir the sugar into the coffee, her long, plum coloured nails almost preventing her from holding the spoon at all. "Who would be beautiful, brave and caring. A girl who would always strive to do the right thing."
I looked down at the table. Different people had different definitions for 'the right thing'. Analetta's was for me to torment Doctor Carver with the possibility of freedom and then leave the town; Carver's was for me to watch everyone's death and then be killed myself...but I knew for certain what my definition for 'the right thing' was now.
"I have a few things to get sorted for your birthday, Tabs. So I'm going to leave you here with Analetta, so she can speak to you about your past together, and maybe show you some fortune telling tricks." She smiled at us both. "Thanks, Ana." She put on a stern face and a half-joking tone, "but no brainwashing, got it?"
"It's fine. And I prefer Letta; you do remember, no?"
"When will you be back?" I asked, worried that Analetta would brainwash me - or, rather, use her magic to change my definition of 'the right thing'.
"About half an hour. Have fun." Mum smiled and waved at me, leaving quickly. There were a few moments of silence between Analetta and I when Mum left, before 'Letta' spoke up.
"Well, mi dulce, I guess we shouldn't waste this opportunity. We have a few things to talk about, no?"

Analetta and I spoke about very important topics for about twenty minutes, and then she prepared some sweets and tea. I felt more uplifted and confident about my decision after speaking with her, and took this opportunity to lighten up and enjoy myself. After all, I was on vacation.
"Do you know if Kyle actually likes Mum?" I asked, taking a churro from the plate of Spanish sweets set down between me and Analetta.
"I'm not too sure. He began dating her to distract her, so that I could speak with you, and keep track of what was going on at the Manor. He may have come to like her." She smiled and leaned closer. "But I can tell you one thing for certain. He's quite fond of you. Despite his words and actions, he enjoys being in your company. He hates himself for it, with you being a woman and everything..." She sipped some tea, her talons tinkling against the cup as she clasped her hand slowly around it. "But he likes you."
"He'd better not hurt Mum." I growled.
"It seems as though you're going to hurt her yourself, no?"
My confidence in my plan wavered, and I was about to discuss it with Analetta some more, but she continued. "Ah, another thing worth mentioning is Halloween night. Kyle believes his amazing-" she made a grand gesture, "-skill of persuasion is what saved you and your Mother that night. It was actually my work. My magic."
I was about to ask her what exactly she'd done, when Mum walked in.
"All sorted!" Her eyes lit up when she saw the plate. "Ooh! It's been so long since I've had your sweets, An- I mean, Letta."

The next few days were fun, but there was always the situation at home nagging at the back of my mind.
"I didn't embarrass you at the restaurant, did I?" Mum asked on the way home. She was referencing the thing she'd been sorting out whilst I spoke to Analetta: for the employees at my favourite restaurant to sing Happy Birthday whilst bringing me cake.
"No." I smiled. "It was nice."
"You have enjoyed yourself, haven't you?" I could hear the worry in her voice.
"Of course. It was really fun."
"It's just...you've seemed off, these past few days."
I feigned ignorance. "I have?"
"Yeah. There's nothing wrong, is there?" With every word, the concern in her voice increased.
"No. Why would there be?" I felt really uncomfortable.
"Okay." She narrowed her eyes at me. "If you're so sure."
Tomorrow would be my birthday. I wasn't too sure I'd live to see it.

When we got home, we put our belongings away and Mum decided to go out to get some things for lunch. As soon as she was gone, I went running around the house to find Doctor Carver.
"Carver!" I yelled as loud as I could. "Where are you?"
Before long, I found myself at the basement.
"Young Tabitha."
I'd become accustomed to the hoarse, evil tone of William's voice, but now it was eerie to me.
I switched the basement light on, and saw Carver grinning like a madman at the bottom of the stairs.
"Are you ready?"
I noticed the metal bat he had placed suspiciously close to the pile of items. So, that was the way this evil fucker planned to kill me off? I wasn't looking forward to it.
"Let's just get down to it." I took my first step down the staircase to my own, personal Hell.