Chapter Sixteen

As soon as I walked out of my European Literature class, my phone started vibrating. I didn't recognize the number, so I didn't pick it up. I continued walking down the hall, ignoring the stares people were giving me. People at this college might be oblivious about One Direction, but they do read magazines, all of which I'm on the cover on for either marrying a band-member or cheating on one. My phone started to buzz again, and again I didn't recognize the number. But I answered it. I just wanted to stop worrying about the stares I was receiving.

"Hello?"

"Zara, hey! How are you?" The voice on the other side answered. It was a familiar, masculine voice.

"Who is this?"

"It's me, Harry!" I could feel him grinning against the phone.

"Why are you calling me? And how'd you get my number?"

"You're marrying my best friend. I wanted to know you more. And I got your number from Zayn's phone. He's a deep sleeper,"

"I can't talk to you," I said. I was about to hang up on him, but he cut me off.

"Why don't we meet up today? I was thinking of coming to your place, if you don't wanna meet in public. Or you can come to the hotel if you and Zayn are okay," He suggested.

"You can come over," I said and hung up the phone. I texted Lisa to make a rain-check on our study session at the library. She asked why and I told her, so she called me up.

"Harry's coming to your place, again?" She asked through the phone.

"Yeah. He wanted to meet at the hotel, but Zayn hasn't even tried to talk to me since yesterday, so I don't want to go there and be like, 'Hey!'" I replied.

"Has Zayn tried calling you?"

"He called yesterday after I left. But he hasn't called today. And I'm glad," I said, relieved.

"So what? You're not even going to talk to Zayn?"

"I will... Later. I just don't want to talk to him right now. I need to focus on my midterms first, Lisa,"

"I know, I know. Just don't wait too long,"

"I won't. My parents are going to invite him and his family over sooner or later, and I guess we'll talk then," I said. I reached my car and got in. "I'll call you later, okay?"

"Okay, bye," She said as I hung up the phone and drove home. 

When I reached home, my mom was in the living room talking to Harry. 

"Zara," She said as she heard me enter the room. "Can I talk to you for a minute in the kitchen?" She said as she walked towards me. I followed her.

"What's wrong, Mama?" I asked. She looked at me sternly.

"Why is he here again?"

"He wanted to meet up with me," I shrugged my shoulders casually.

"He came yesterday, and now today? People in the neighborhood have been saying things. Not good things,"

"Those people don't know what they're saying. They just like making stuff up," I explained to my mom.

"I don't know, Zara. I don't like that he's coming here. I didn't like it when you were meeting up with Zayn too much either. And speaking of Zayn, where is he? I haven't heard from him, and after you came home yesterday, you looked as if you had been crying. What's wrong, sweetie?" She placed a hand on my shoulder, soothing me.

"Nothing happened," I lied.

"Zara, I know something's wrong,"

"We kind of got in an argument yesterday," I said.

"You and Zayn? Why?"

"He said he wanted to be in the band after we get married, and I said that's absurd because being in a band isn't a job,"

"Zara, he's going to say this now, but after you two get married, he'll change. They always do," My mom said smiling a little.

"What if he doesn't?" I asked.

"He will. I know it," She said and hugged me, patting my back.

I nodded my head, wanting to believe her. "Do you want me to tell him to leave?" I said pointing my thumb towards the living room.

"You can talk to him today," She said as she walked out of the kitchen and into her bedroom. 

I walked out to the living room. Harry was sitting on the couch, observing everything around him.

"Hi," I said as I sat down on the couch across from him.

"Hey. Is everything okay?" He asked as he cocked his head to one side.

I nodded my head, "Yeah, everything's great,"

"Good," He replied. He put his lips together and looked around. "Zayn's really lucky to have someone like you,"

I looked at him, unsure if he was going to continue. He did.

"He talks about you all the time. Since he met you, he hasn't stopped. He called us up before meeting you and after, and his voice was completely different the second time. He sounded so happy. We facetimed him and he was ecstatic about the wedding. He was really happy to find someone like you,"

I nodded my head slightly and looked down.

"I know things were said yesterday, and he really feels horrible about everything. He didn't make me come here. He doesn't even I came here yesterday and today. I just wanted to tell you that he really likes you. More than I can describe in words. He's really sorry for what he said yesterday though. He's been in his room all day. We tried to get him out, but he just shut us all out," He paused for a minute and then continued, "He called our management group this morning and said he wants to leave the band,"

"What?" I asked, shocked. My mom was right.

"Yeah, um... He told them first and then texted us. Here," He took out his phone and handed it to me. I saw the text - Hey guys. I'm going to be leaving the band this summer. But you guys should still continue for as long as you can.

"Wow, I can't believe he did that," I said. 

"I guess he really loves you," Harry said as he stood up from the couch. I followed. "I should be heading back," He walked towards the door, but before leaving he turned and looked at me, "You're really great, and I'm happy for you two," He looked sad when he said that, and maybe he was since one of his friends was leaving the band. 

When Harry left, I stayed in the living room, processing what had just happened.

I know I wanted Zayn to leave the band, but why do I feel so guilty about it now. This is what I wanted.