Chapter One

I'm just an average girl in college pursuing my dream of becoming a professional writer. It's been my dream and passion since I was a little girl. I always loved writing stories for others to read, and now I get to follow through.

"Zara! Get ready; the guests will be here any minute"

"Yes mama"

Today was the day I get to meet my future husband. I've never met him before – that's why it's an arranged marriage. I'm supposed to marry this one guy whose parents know my parents really well. Apparently my dad and the guy's dad were really close when growing up, but after they started working and got married, they moved to different countries. My dad moved to America, and his friend to England. And today we were going to meet for the first time, and have some dinner and just talk a bit. I do not approve, knowing that we live in the 21st century and should be given the chance to marry whomever we want, but I am not given that choice. So unfortunately I have to stick with it.

I decided on wearing black jeans, with a jumper and some flats. I painted my nails dark red and put on some light make-up and my hair in a bun.

"Zara! Come downstairs!"

"Coming," I quickly ran downstairs, making sure I do not trip on them again.

"You took so long!" She scolded me. "Go make the table. They're on their way"

"Okay," I skipped towards the kitchen to gather up the plates, napkins, forks, spoons, and knives. My mom was heating up the food one last time before they came.

As I was setting the table, the doorbell rang, and my dad went to go get it. I noticed a family enter. There were two parents, three daughters – one seemed older than me, and the others looked younger – and one son, who seemed to be about my age. That's probably him. He had black hair and a little stubble growing.

"Oh, and you must be Zara. It's so wonderful to finally meet you," The lady hugged me tightly, slightly rocking me from side to side.

"The feeling's mutual," I replied as she let go.

"Zara, this is Yaser and Tricia, and their daughters, Doniya, Waliyha and Safaa; and their son, Zayn," He pointed to each one of them. I shook each of their hands and smiled warmly as they smiled back.

We walked into the living room to chat a bit before heading towards the dining room. My dad was talking to his friend, and their mom started talking to me.

"Zara, I've heard you're in college now. What are you studying?"

"I'm studying literature, and I'm currently in my third year"

"So you'll be done by next year?"

"Yes"

"Are you going to teach or...?"

"Maybe, but I'm more towards creative writing so I want to publish books"

"Oh, that's very interesting. Have you published anything so far?"

"I published one children's story last year"

"That's amazing. Zayn here always had a passion for literature. He wanted to become an English teacher"

"What does he do instead?"

"He's in the music industry"

I nodded my head, "That's really cool. Does he write songs for others?"

"Not exactly"

"Then – " but I was cut off by my mom.

"Dinner's ready" My mom chirped from the kitchen. I smiled at my soon-to-be mother-in-law as we walked to the dining room. The table was large enough to fit ten people, so we had an open seat.