Inhibitions

"Alden.."

"Pano naman ako? Pano tayo? Maine naman wag ganto."

Maine managed not to cry as she saw the man he loved begging and crying his heart out after she told him they needed a break. She didn't know what has gotten into her to say those painful words to him. She needed space. She needed time for herself to process what happened for the past few weeks. Everything was perfect.. Not until her inhibitions butted in.

"Kung tungkol to sa pagjojoke ko sa kanila na yayayain na kitang magpakasal, forget it. Di kita minamadali. Maghihintay ako. Kahit kelan. Just don't.. Don't leave me, please."

"RJ.." Umupo sya para magkalevel na silang dalawa. She then cupped his tear-stained cheeks. "I won't leave you. I just needed time alone. Please understand. Ako mismo hindi ko naiintindihan ang nangyayari sa sarili ko that's why I need this break. Promise, I'll be back. I'll be back before you even know I was gone. Okay na din to para mamiss naman natin ang isa't isa." She let out a chuckle. "I'll be back, I promise."

---

"Iniwan mo tas iiyak iyak ka dyan. Magdusa ka ngayon."

Maine stayed at her Ate Nikki's place. She spends time with Matti but whenever the angel is asleep, she can't help but cry. Alden gave her the break she needs. No text, calls and no whereabouts. She wanted to stab herself for being a crybaby  when any of this won't happen if she didn't ask for it.

"Ate, how did you knew Kuya John was the one for you?"

Nikki sat beside her Maine closer and decided to give her a cuddle. "How did I knew he was the one? He proved to me that he could be the one."

Maine looked at her Ate with a puzzled look.

"Hay nako ang Menggay namin." Nikki hugged her sister tighter. "Ikaw ba, tingin mo siya na?"

"Ate alam ko siya na. The moment he asked me if he could be my boyfriend, I knew he would be the last. Pero.." Her sister stopped her.

"You knew he would be the last, e bakit may 'pero'? Kung siya na, bakit may doubts? Bakit may inhibitions?"

"This is why I needed space. With Alden, everything seemed to be perfect.. magical. Everything's too good to be true. And then he came to me and asked for a lifetime commitment. Every inch of me wanted to scream 'yes'! But then, there's a tiny voice telling me, am I ready?"

"And then when he gave me the space I needed, a week without him was hell. I badly want to call him and tell how I missed him, pero inisip ko na baka sa una lang yon.. So I stopped myself. Not until yesterday, when everything finally strucked me. I can't imagine another day waking up without him."

"E ano pa palang ginagawa mo dito?"

"Nagdrama lang. Hahaha. I'll call Alden. Galit kaya siya sakin?"

"Tawagan mo na. Miss ka na nun."

Maine instantly got up in the bed and fished for her phone. She dialed Alden's number. After 3 rings, he answered.

"Hello Maine? Why? Is there-"

"Baby I missed you. Sorry for being irrational. Sorry for everything! I don't know what has gotten into me to break up with you, I'm sorry-"

"Hey is there something wrong? I can drop by there after shoot."

"No magkita nalang tayo bukas, then we'll talk."

"So, okay ka na?"

"Never been this good. We'll see each other tomorrow okay? I miss you."

"I missed you too. Take care okay? I love you." Alden said on the other line.

As soon as Maine hung up she ran back to her sister's bed.

"Ate you think I should call Tatay and Nanay?"

"Huh? Why you miss them na e andito lang sila kagabi ha."

"I-oorient ko lang sila na papayag na kong magpakasal kay Faulkerson."

Nikki, shocked with her sister's words pulled her back and gave her a pinch in the cheeks.

"Gaga! Edi inatake naman si Tatay sayo pag sinabi mo yan. Antayin mo munang makasal lahat kami bago ikaw."

"Grabe siya oh! Ang sama niyo sakin ha?"

"Sorry ka, ikaw ang bunsong anak na babae eh hahahaha. Oh I forgot kelangan din pala munang magcollege ni Matti."

"Wth Ate gurang na kami ni Faulkerson nun. At di ka na magkaka-pamangkin sakin. Kayo din, maganda pa naman genes namin ni Alden hahahaha."

"Baliw ka talaga text mo nalang si RJ na dito magdinner para makabawi ka naman. At ipagluto mo!"

"Eh katamad Ate oorder nalang ako."

"Culinary graduate pero tamad magluto, ikaw na talaga Menggay."

They continued their sisters' talk for another hour but was interrupted by her sister's husband.

"Meng, bisita mo nasa baba."

Maine wasn't expecting any visitor. "Lah? Sino Kuya?"

"Sino pa ba magtiya-tyagang bumyahe papuntang Bulacan bukod sa boyfriend mo?"

With that, Maine ran downstairs to see her Alden patiently waiting on the living room with a bouquet of fresh carnations in hand. His face lit up when he saw Maine and walked towards her for a hug.

"I missed you."

"Namiss din kita Faulkerson. Sorry ulit."

"Wala na yun, ang mahalaga okay na tayo. Bawas drama nalang love ha? You really scared the hell out of me. Akala ko mawawala ka na sakin."

"Opo. Sorry talaga. I'm sorry for doubting you, us. Natakot lang ako kasi sobrang perfect lahat na baka magising na lang ako-"

"You can have doubts with everything, but not with me. I love you."

"I love you too. Thanks for holding on to me."

"I won't let you go, ever."