Chapter 28

I lift my head as I hear the classroom door slam shut.

My heart rate picks up and I look over at Jade and El. They give me amused expressions and look back to Mr. Air.

"Class! Please say hello to Mr. Jose Moreno."

"Hello Jose." Everyone droned out.

"Right then. Please take the only empty seat." My heart stopped.

The only open seat was next to me, because Jessica left a couple days ago. During the middle of our test the other day, she went into labor and obviously isn't coming back for a while.

The seat next to me gets pulled out, and books get flopped onto the table.

"Hi." He whispers softly in my ear as his breathe fans across my neck. I roll my head lazily in his direction and roll my eyes.

"Hello again." He chuckles as he slouches into his chair and listens to Mr. Air.

I'm about to doze off just as a paper ball smacks me in head. I lift my head angrily and unravel the note.

You and Jose should sneak out with me, El, Brandon and a secret person ;) I look up at Jade who winks.

Who's the secret person? I pass the note back to her and in moments the paper is handed back to me.

Lacey. Please come? I roll my eyes and pull out another paper and ask Jose if he wants to sneak out with us. In a matter of seconds, my best friend is in our class.

"Excuse me Mr. Air?" Mr. Air turns and smiles at the new comer.

"Yes?"

"The principle wants to speak to Jade Miller, Lauren Potts, Jose Moreno, and Eleanor Rose." She pretends to read a fake note.

"Oh. How long will they be gone?"

"The rest of class. She needs them to set up and run some errands for her." Mr. Air nods his head and turns back to the class.

"Jade, Ellie, Lauren and Jose, Principle Finster wants to see you all, take your belongings, you won't be returning." We all smile at him as we collect our things.

"Have a great weekend, see you all on Monday." We walk out of the class with serious faces then as soon as the door is shut, we all bust out laughing.

We walk outside and over to my Jeep. "Where's Brandon?" I ask, unlocking my Jeep.

"He'll be here in a second, he has free period." I nod, getting into my car and starting it up and cooling it off.

"Wait. What about your brothers? I gave them a ride this morning." Jade waves her hand and rolls her eyes, not taking her eyes off of her phone.

"They'll be fine. They can get a ride from one of my other brothers." Suddenly, we see Brandon running out of the front and waving his hands forward.

"Go! I'll jump in!" I confusedly reverse my car and wait till he jumps in and drive down the parking lot lane.

"Go! The security is coming! They saw you guys leaving, then saw me and they're coming to get you back!" I step on the gas and the car lurches forward.

"No! Don't touch that!" I yell at Brandon and Jose. I walked into my room with Lacey to change into bathing suits and I found Brandon and Jose trying to get into one of my box's with pictures in it.

"Why not? Trying to hide something Lo?" Brandon asks me, wiggling his eyebrows.

"YES! Now please leave and don't touch that!" I yell at them but they don't listen.

"Why? What's in here?" Jose asks and the box top suddenly gets ripped open.

"No!" I yell, lunging for the box, but I fall to the ground as the box gets pulled out from under me.

"I remember this..." Jose whispers from next to me. I pound my head into the floor. No one was supposed to see those.

"Aw Lo! This is so cute!" I look up and my heart jumps when I see the picture that Jose is holding.

It was taken a couple months after we started dating in my backyard back home. The sun was setting so all you could see were our silhouettes. Our foreheads were touching and we were facing each other, knees touching and holding hands in his lap.

It was one of my favorites.

"Right after this was taken, Stevie poured a bucket of ice water on our heads." Jose said, reminiscing. I rolled my eyes and laughed, remembering how mad I was and how loud I yelled at him for ruining my hair.

"Gosh I was so mad at him!" We laughed together as Brandon and Lacey just stood there, staring at us oddly.

"Lo? Where's Stevie and Katherine?" My heart dropped at the question.

"They-uh-they... Went to live back home with Maddy so that Stevie could go to school on scholarship..." I stumbled out.

"Oh." He looked down at the picture then back up at me. "And why are you here? Where's your mom and dad?"

Shit.