Chapter 20

"WELCOME HOME LAUREN!" Everyone screams as I walk through the front door. I smile hugly at them, gripping onto Jacob's waist as he helps me over to the couch. I'm still a little weak, but I got to go home early. Other than being weak, I was doing a whole lot better.

"Do you need anything Lo?" Jacob asks, as he sets me into the couch. I look up at him hopefully.

"Could I have some chocolate ice cream?" He smiles, strolling away to the kitchen. Cody comes and sits next to me on the couch.

"What do you want?" I ask Cody with a smile on my face. He rolls his eyes at me.

"I just wanted to watch tv with my sis." He says, ruffling my hair. I push his hand off and lay on his shoulder. Jacob comes in with my ice cream and hands it to me, sitting down on the other couch, watching tv with us.

After about an hour, Genny comes in and tells me its time I go up stairs and take a nap. I nod and Jacob takes me up stairs, tucks me in, and leaves me alone in the darkness. I fall asleep in no time.

"But moooom!"

"No Lauren! I told you you couldn't go to that party tonight! Now drop it!" My mom yelled back at me.

"Urgg! You are ruining my life!" I yell, storming up the stairs and slamming my door shut.

I fall onto my bed and scream into my pillow. Its like her goal in life is to ruin my life. How could she?

It's only a little party at the quarter back, Ty's house! I don't get why she's all worked up?!

"Lo? Are you coming?" Stevie asks me, opening my door.

"Going where?" I ask into my pillow.

"The party of course." My head pops up.

"What?! She's letting you go but not me?"

"Oopps?" I jump up from my bed and run down into the living room.

"You're letting Stevie go but not me?" I yell at her.

"Lauren I don't want to discuss this anymore." She throws her hands against the counter, frustrated.

"Why are you letting him go but not me?" She sighs, running her hand through her perfect blond hair.

"Your father and I are going out of town tonight and I want to make sure you are here safe."

"That is unfair!" I ran up to my room and slammed the door shut. An hour later I heard the front door shut and a car engine start.

I had upset her so much she didn't say goodbye.

But I didn't care, I'm mad at her.

That day, the police came to my house, telling us our parents were dead.

I pop awake, sitting straight up. I realize I'm sweating and crying and breathing very heavily. It wasn't a nightmare, but to me it was. I saw my mother again. Her gorgeous blond hair and green eyes. Her tan, perfect skin. It scared me.

It was like a ghost, coming back to haunt me.

I get out of bed slowly, and walk over to my closet.

I grab a pair of sweatpants and a sweatshirt and pull my hair back into a dutch braid.

I wrap my self in my comforter and walk downstairs.

I need to talk to Stevie.

I stop in the middle of the stairwell.

Stevie's gone.

It hits me suddenly.

I never realized how much I would miss my brother until now, when I needed him the most.

I walk back up stairs and grab my phone and go back down stairs towards the game room. Everyone is in there. They all turn and wave, saying hi. I sigh and turn back around. I walk outside and go into the lawn. It hits me again.

But this time I start to cry.

I drop into the grass and cry while I try to call my brother.

"Hello?" Just hearing his voice brings a smile to my face.

"Stevie?"

"Lauren? What's wrong? I s everything alright? Are you ok?" He sounds so worried.

"I-I'm ok. I'm home. I took a nap. But I had a-nightmare."

He lets out a breath of relief. "You scarred me Lo."

"I'm sorry, I need to talk to my other half." I whisper.

"What was your nightmare about?" He asks.

"Mom."

"Oh."

"It was about that night. When I yelled at her about the party." I say, quietly.

"Oh Lauren!"

"I never even got to say goodbye. The last thing I said to her was I accused her of being unfair! Stevie! I hate myself for yelling at her!"

"Lauren stop!"

So I did.

I stopped and listened to the birds and the breeze. In the background, I hear the faint yelling of someone loosing the game. I smile.

"I miss you Stevie."

"I miss you too Lo."

"I heard that Maddy came to visit you?"

"Who?" I asked him.

"Maddy? Oh that's right you don't know her. Her and two guys came to see you..."

"Oh that's right. The one boy claimed I was his girlfriend." I pause. "I had him sent out." Stevie laughed on the other end.

The weird thing was I remember anything before I met the Miller's and up to the beach.

I don't remember everything, but I know who my family pretty much is. It comes back gradually.

"I love you Lo."

"I love you too Stevie."

"I have to go, Maddy just got back."

"Oh ok. Thanks Stevie."

"Anytime Lo. I love you."

"I love you more."

Then the line went dead.