Guardian (Newt)

(Newt p.o.v.)

I was working in the gardens, digging holes for Zart to drop the seeds in when it happened. Everyone started murmuring amongst each other first, but it wasn't long before they were pointing and shouting. I turned to see what the commotion was about. Well, they weren't wrong about being alarmed.

A girl, dressed in a ripped white dress was sitting on top of the Maze wall. I turned to see if Zart was staring at the same thing. He was.

"It's a buggin' girl! How in the bloody heck did she get up there?" I ask, bewildered.

Zart just shakes his head and shrugs. We both turn our attention back to the girl. Now how were we supposed to get her down from there? Not to mention how she even got up. Or even in the Maze. What was going on?

Some of the Gladers start getting the biggest pieces of furniture and objects they could find, trying to make some kind of makeshift tower to get to her. I walked over slowly, never taking my eyes off of her. How odd...

The girl started to climb down the ivy, holding on for dear life. What if she did fall? Would someone be able to catch her? Or would we have to bury another face that would have to be forgotten?

Minutes passed that seemed to stretch into hours. I didn't know how long it took, but once she was down with the help of some eager boys, everyone was relieved. Now for the questioning.

I ran up to her, or at least I meant to. There was already a big crowd of boys around her and in sure she was terrified. I pushed passed them and got to the front. The girl was terrified, that was obvious.

"Hey hey hey!" I shout. "Everyone give her some space, alright? Albys sick, so I'll ask the questions."

The girl looked to me and her fear seemed to disappear. She smiled a little at me and gave her a comforting one back. "Come with me," I say gently.

I take the girl to the Homestead, a place where not many Gladers would be. Now I might actually be able to talk to her without being yelled over.

"Where did you come from?" I ask and cross my arms. I examine her face and see that's she was practically flawless...I couldn't see anything wrong or different about her. Who was this girl?

"I uh-I don't remember." The girl looked to me with a convincing expression and I nodded.

"That's completely normal, although how you got here wasn't. Do you know your name?"

She pushes her lips together. "I'm...Y/N . My name is Y/N."

I take a deep breath in. "Welcome to the Glade, Y/N."

***

I give my room to her, moving my few possessions out. A girl needed her own room, that was evident. Especially in a place like this. I could survive sleeping in a hammock like the rest of the Gladers. Besides, I always thought that just because I was second in command didn't justify me having my own room. It was just silly.

The girl seemed pretty out of it, so I let her be. I would make sure none of the other Gladers bothered her until dinner time, if even then.

I was bombarded with questions, which was expected. I wasn't able to answer any of them though, I knew as little as they did. I told them to just give her space, and to treat her with respect. Other than that, she was one of us. And that's how things would be.