Close Call (Minho)

"Minho, I don't know, couldn't you ask for the day off or something?" you ask and scratch your arm nervously.

"Why would I do that? Look, Y/N," he sighs and puts his arms on your shoulders. "It's going to be alright. I do this everyday."

You nod but still couldn't shake the feeling that something was going to happen. You sigh as he kisses the top of your head and yells to Thomas.

"Come on, Princess, we haven't got all day!" Thomas turns around from Frypans kitchen and jogs over to Minho.

"I'll see you for lunch, Y/N!" Minho calls as he and Thomas run into the Maze. You bite your lip and go to work with Newt in the gardens.

As the day passes you share your concerns with Newt, since he was a former Runner maybe he could tell you something.

"Well, there is always a risk when you go out there, but you know that. And Minho is good. The best. He'll be fine, Y/N," he states in his British accent as he continues digging up holes for you to place seeds.

You don't say anything but continue to work deep in thought. Maybe Minho would be okay and you were just being anxious for no reason. You try to shake it off and focus on what Newt had you do.

Lunchtime. You waited next to the doors like you usually did, expecting Minho with nervous butterflies in your stomach.

He didn't come.

The Gladers left Frypans kitchen with full stomachs and you waited at the Maze door still. Hoping with everything you had that he'd turn that corner and you could see him again.

Alby walked up to you and asked what you were doing and why you hadn't eaten. You smile lightly. Alby was always looking out for everyone.

"Minho was supposed to meet me for lunch and he never showed. Thomas either."

Albys eyebrows furrowed and he stared into the Maze.

"I'm sure they're fine, just got held up. They'll make it back okay? They always do," he says and looks you in the eyes. You nod and tell him thanks as he walks away. In the meantime, you had to get back to work.

You trudge back to the gardens and glance at the Maze doors every couple seconds with anxious eyes. As you work, the sun starts to get lower and shadows are cast across the Glades walls and ground. Work is soon dismissed and you jog over to the Maze doors where some boys had started to gather with worried murmurs. Finally people were taking a hint.

You cross your arms and shift your weight from one foot to the other. If he didn't make it back...

You wait. Every second aching, every minute agony. Anxiety swells in your heart and you begin biting your nails, something you hardly ever did.

It was almost dark now and you were beginning to shiver from the cold air. Chuck was your savior when he handed you a jacket. You give him a thankful nod and slip it on, never taking your eyes from the cracked cement walls.

Any minute now and the doors would close. Every Glader was either standing or sitting, waiting to know if they'd lost their friends. Of course you were worried about Thomas too, he was one of your best friends. Losing either of them wouldn't be a very good day for you.

You push a hand through your hair and tug on the roots. This was infuriating! Why hadn't Minho just listened-

"There!" Winston shouts. You strain your eyes in the darkness to see Minho and Thomas sprinting back to the Glade. You breathe out heavily and you want to cry out of relief.

The doors start to close but you weren't worried. They rush through the doors before they're half closed and once they're through they lay on the ground panting. The doors slap shut and every Glader huddled around the Runners.

Gally steps up and asks them questions.

"What took so long? Did you see a Griever?"

Minho rolls his eyes and heaves a big breath. "Nah, we were just sight seeing and lost track of time. Of course we ran into a Griever, Shuck face."

You unfold your arms and kneel down next to Minho. He smiles slightly at you for a moment but looks back up to the dark sky, still trying to catch his breath.

You bite your lip and turn around to look for Jeff or Clint. Once you spot them you nod to them and they know what to do. Alby clears the rest of the Gladers and sends them off to bed but you follow Minho and Thomas regardless. Alby rolls his eyes at your stubbornness but doesn't say anything.

Jeff and Clint help the boys to the Med-jacks hut and get them on the mattresses. Alby asks for them to explain what happened.

"Saw Griever, ran, almost died, ran, came back," Thomas groans and grips his side.

"Are you stung?" You ask him. He shakes his head.

"I'm just going to be really sore tomorrow."

You nod and take in their appearance. Dirty, sweaty, and smelly. You could practically feel their exhaustion from where you stood.

Alby rubs his chin and after thinking for a moment, leaves the room. Clint and Jeff rush off to get water for them.

You kneel next to Minho and take his hand. He squeezes yours gently.

"I'm really glad you're okay," you murmur.

He gives you his million dollar smile at this.

"Me too. If I wasn't, I couldn't do this."

He props himself up on his elbow and meets his mouth with yours. The room is then silent.

"Ahem," Thomas says and pretends to cough. "Still here."

You break the kiss and Minho lies back down. You roll your eyes at Thomas and he shrugs innocently at you.

You stand after kissing the back of Minhos hand.

"I'll come see you in the morning, okay? Get some sleep."

Minho nods and you look over to Thomas. He has that stupid look on his face and you shake your head.

"I'm not kissing you goodnight Thomas, sorry," you laugh.

"Oh darn..." Thomas says sarcastically and rolls his eyes. He then turns over on his side, his back to you.

"Goodnight, Minho," you whisper to the drowsy boy. He raises his eyebrows at you slightly and you know he wants to say it back but he's beyond words as his eyes close and he drifts off to sleep.