Chapter 12

As she walked in and out of her work place doing her normal duty, taking orders and bringing them to the customers, Bright couldn't help but smile. Things aren't as bad and pathetic as it was before.

She walked up to the new customer, if there was one thing she hated about her job was the attention she draws from customers and at times it annoys her especially when they have their own date.

"County kitchen at your service, what would you like to have? You can check the menu list here and place your order"  she put on her practiced smile that she wore like a mask whether the day was nice or not, rain or shine, she must always smile. One thing she knows was that her boss kept her in this phase longer than the rest because she attracts a lot of people and that was just what her boss needs to boosts his business.

"We will have the local dish, for me I want ofada rice" the man smiled at her in a flirty way and she was sure his fate didn't not notice that action.

"What about you ma'am? Would you like to take the same also?" She tried to ignore the man that was trying so hard not to stare at her as if she was some experiment.

" do you have fried rice? I would love it also with chicken"

Bright made her jotting on her note pad waiting for them to make orders for their drinks.

" give her Five alive and for me give me Ace root"

She made her final jotting, praying that was all, she wanted to leave immediately to get the order and leave this man's lustful scrutinizing gaze.

She brought the food few minutes later and dropped the bill inside the menu list.

She walked away to attend to other customers, she hurried away quickly as she felt that the man's eyes was on her.
*********†***************†***************

Some days were always the same, same routine, same goal, same reason to live, but another force was adding to her reason to want to redeem herself, days like these when she is locked away and extremely moody ,she wakes up and  just want to take that bathing soap and wash away all her worries, her past and all that made her be what she never wanted to be.

She looked at the mirror as she adjusted her clothes for work. Jake was outside eating his breakfast and their seems to be improvement since Ed decided to intervene.

Ed, as much as he gave her a reason to want to believe that life was not all that bad and God if there was any was willing to give her a second chance to happiness.

She knew it was just too late, she doesn't even have a dream! She adjusted  her hair and looked at herself in the mirror and all she saw was a broken crack at the side of the mirror.

Just like her broken, cracked at edges and dusty from too much problems, still she could still use the mirror can't she? 

She would just have to mange it, as she wakes up everyday and manages her pathetic life filled with routine.

What happened to the girl that always wanted to be a Dentist?, that tried to love the world even if it was never reciprocated.

She  wiped the lone tear that managed to escape from the frozen bank account of her emotions. She doesn't even want to withdraw from that account. It would rather be  left frozen.

She went to straight to where her son was, no matter how it felt so bad to be faced with fate and harsh realities of life, the love of her son melts her frozen heart. She hugged her son from behind and kissed his hair, sending a silent prayer to whatever force cared  to listen.

"Mom, please Dont start again, it don't like it when you treat me as if am a small boy" he tried to remove his head from his mom embrace, as much as he loved his mother, at times she can be so clingy and over active and days like this marked present in her register.

The sound of that voice made her day and she laughed out loud without caring no hears.

"Hmmm mummy, this type of laughter I've  never heard of it before, well not until recently especially when we are with Uncle Ed" Jake said as a matter of fact.
He carried his bag indicating that he wasn't interested in further display of affection and he also was not planning on going to school late.

Bright got the cue and picked up her hand bag. They locked the of the apartment.

The sound of a car engine seem to distract their actions. Bright looked at the car and found out that it was not a familiar car. Infact the car was super duper dope, it must be one of Mrs Bayonle's visitor she said to herself but life always seems to burst her bubbles.
The driver of the car was so familiar that even her son ran to meet him as he got down from His ride.

"Hey handsome"  he dropped to his knees as he gave the mother of the boy a wink.
"Uncle Eddy" Jake ran and swept his short arms round Ed.

"It seems someone is happy to see me and wants to go school today" he laughed as he tickled the boy and carried him on his neck. He sat there on his neck feeling like a king on Ed's neck, as he carried him as the king he was.

Bright dint want to admit to herself but she found that picture so real and fascinating that she almost smiled out her tears, it was the most beautiful expression she has seen from Ed and her son.

We're getting late for school little master and that's one of the reason am here to be your driver to school today. He dropped Jake as he walked up to where the mother has being glued since morning.

He gave that heart melting chocolate candy smile showing his white set of teeth. He hugged her tightly and whispered into her ears " isn't it a fresh morning? You look good" before she could process what he just said he spoke aloud.

"Now little master we  are already late for school let's get you there, your mother after coming out from her trance would come and meet us" Ed left her as he carried Jake's lunch box and entered inside the car. Jake sat in front with him.

Bright came out of her trance immediately she noticed she was the one delaying her son. She entered the car and closed it. Ed help Jake with his seat belt, roared the engine into life and moved.

They were silent throughout the journey to the school, Ed kept looking at her from the review mirror but Bright was good at hiding what she was feeling and at times difficult to read.

"Here you are lil master, have a great day in school" he gave Jake an hi five before he highlighted from the car and ran to his class.
*****************************************
Ed parked his car, got down and went to side of the car to open the door.
When he opened it he sat down beside Bright inside the car, and looked at her.