Chapter 30

Ed opened the door and the aroma of whatever Bright was cooking slapped his nose. He saw her bag neatly placed in the couch in the sitting room, he didn't see her but he could guess she was in the kitchen because he could hear the sound of something being thrown into the oil as it gave a sizzling sound.

He tiptoed inside the kitchen and wrapped his arms around her tiny waist while resting his head on her back. She didn't respond at first but she must have guessed it was Ed because she leaned into him also.
He could guess she was blushing also and just like that in a flash Edward Akanni Makinde knew he could never get tired of this, in fact he wanted to get used to it so much he tightened his grip on her a bit, not wanting to let go.

" how about you stop squeezing me, go upstairs and change into something more relaxed. The plantain is almost ready " Bright released herself from his embrace and faced him, with half smile and half serious look daring Ed to disobey her.

Ed saw the plate filled with plantain and stretched his hands to pick some.

"Jesus!" He screamed as he immediately dropped the plantain.

"Why didn't you tell me that it was still hot? You just want to punish me this night, and i dont even know what i did wrong "

" Edward i swear I will make you take garri if you dont go and change"

"Okay, okay am going inside, satisfied? what did you cook anyways?"

"Nothing much, just white rice and vegetable(Nigerian )"

Edward opened the pot to see what she cooked and it was looking delicious, his stomach was already giving him warning sign reminding him that he hasn't taking anything down apart from muffin and coffee.

He tried to pick one of the fish inside the vegetables but Bright slapped his hand, his grip on the fish was more than the force of the slap so he took the fish anyway and immediately put it in his mouth before walking out of the kitchen.

The supper was delicious and Ed found himself eating the second round. He cant recall or remember the last time he had a good meal or when he took his time to eat a meal, he prided himself of being a small eater compared to most men of his age and he loved to eat in bits. But this food was just different, he tasted different and the gesture towards it was so touching that he didn't know he was staring.

"You stare a lot do you know, especially at me, although i like it, at times it makes me nervous or self conscious, also it can be very intimidating too " Bright said interrupting the silent peace at the dinning table.

"I cant help it Bri, you are just amazing"

Bright looked away from him, and was suddenly consumed with fear. She didn't know when Ed took her hands and was rubbing it with his slightly rough thumb.
This gesture was usually done when Ed wanted to say something serious.

"I am in love with you Bri, and can't promise you forever because, I am not God, I am bound to make mistake! But I can promise you one day at a time, I can try to promise you now of everyday of our lives, I want to share all my days with you in it everyday. I want to be in your life, every step all the way you and Jake and as long as you allow me, i want to go as far as forever"
Ed dropped her hands and dropped one knee, he wasn't even sure which of the knee should be on the floor. He checked both of his pocket before bringing out what he purchase at the jewellery store in Uk.
The black box, he opened it and placed it on the table looking at her, she was crying now and Ed hoped it was tears of joy.

"Bright Adams, marry me please"

Bright was silent and stunned, what was happening? Ed wanted to marry her?
She wanted to say yes but so many things began to choke her. It just wasn't fair Ed deserved a better person , it wasn't fair to have Ed marry a a lady like herself with too much baggage and responsibility. Ed was too good for her, what if he later regret it? His mother does not even like her, she wasn't even a good wife material. She had too many experience, too many shady past which was still hanging on her life. She was soiled and as much as she loved this man, she knew it wasn't fair if she accepted this proposal. She shouldn't have allowed Ed to string along in her life, now it was going to cost them. This time the tears became more emphasised and she stood up from her chair.

" I am sorry Ed, i am so sorry but i cant accept it" she looked at beautiful sliver ring, it was simple and gorgeous just like she loved it. She ran to the sitting room to carry her bag and stormed out.

Ed stood up, and revised what just happened. Oh yeah, he just got dumped. He wanted to just stay there and stare, but the determined aspect of him that doesn't give up ran after Bri, before she could open the door.

The way he pulled her was a bit rough but he would apologised for that latter, right now he needed a reason even though he wasn't sure if he wanted to hear it.

"Why? Why Bri? I know you love me, your eyes says it, your emotions show it, your mouth has said it, I know you want this, I saw your facial expressions you wanted to say yes but you didn't, what stopped you"

" I am sorry Ed, I cant just accept it, I love you so much in fact maybe too much and that is why am not accepting it, you will understand someday"

"No, no, I am going to hear it now and not someday" His voice was already rising now as he was talking with clenched fist. He wanted to hit the wall and make it crumble. Most of all he wanted to beat up somebody.

"I dont want to hear your sorry, i need a reason why you rejected me because this is so painful, you are not leaving here until you give me a reason" Ed stood in front of the door his posture blocking her from going out. Call it childish but he didn't care he needed an answer and he wanted it now.

After what seem like forever, Bright broke the silence.

" I dont deserve you Ed, you are an almost perfect man, but I dont want you to be burdened because of me, I come with a lot of past, heavy packages and.... -" Ed interrupted her and shook her body maybe she will realise what she was saying.

"That is rubbish, pure cow dung you are wallowing in. You're stalling Bri and you know it. I thought we are way past that part but i clearly see I am wrong " Ed interrupted her getting angry now. So much for a man getting hurt and angry at the same time.

" but you know what Bri, I am not going to beg you to come to terms with yourself"

He shoved the ring into her hands

" here, take it, it was yours anyways, when you are ready and when you are sure of yourself and you begin to see what i see, you know where to find me"

With that he brushed past her and entered inside his room.

He came out few minutes later and found Bright was still on the same spot he left her crying.

He so badly wanted to hug her and reassure her but he knew he couldn't pamper her. She had to come to terms with herself.

He walked up to her, used his palm to cup half side of her face, every instinct in him drew her to him but he wasn't going to do that. He leaned forward, peck the side of her lips and stormed out, the loud sound of the door that was slammed.

The slamming of the door made her come back to herself and she just discovered that just like that she lost the only man she has ever loved. The silence if the house mocked as she crumbled on the floor. In all her life she has never cried so much, she wept and all that remained of her was just hicupps.

She needed to get out of this place, she picked her bag and stomped out.

*****************************************
Ed was fumming so bad, he couldn't believe in his entire life that he would ever propose to a woman and she would get rejected. It hurts him like hell.

He hated tears but he couldn't stop them, they were this close to getting happiness and she said she didn't deserve him?
How many times has he tried to prove her wrong?

He could have begged her, but there was a limit to what a man can do. He had his pride and ego and part if that stopped him from begging her.

If she lives him like she claims she would come back to him.
But this time he was letting her go and allowing her to do the chasing.