Chapter 1

"Come back here, Jake come back or else you won't take part in tonight's dinner". Bright Adams shouted at his seven year old son who loves to leave the house immediately he finishes his assignments. " awww!

Mom am seven years old I ought to be able to do something myself without being disturbed and I just want to play ball with the boys now, we have being playing in for a while and we are in our quater finals now" Jake went out despite his Mom's warnings. She decided to let the moment go. She doesn't have time for all this shouting and today was just not a good day to get into trouble with a seven year old boy.
Bright went into the kitchen she had to continue what she was doing, preparing dinner.

Bright Adams is a typical Nigerian lady chocolate in colour ( that's what most Nigerians call a lady that is light in complextion and also not to dark) average height, no family to make refrence to since like 1864 ( jst kidding) and a single mother,waitress at country kitchen restaurant, one of the best in town and was lucky to he able to get the job, thanks to her neighbour. She makes an appreciable amout of money in the struggling Nigerian economy, 27 years of age.

For Bright everyday is a wide race filled with a lot of boredom, stress and bitterness that at times she just wants to take a pause of her life, from her childhood, teenage years, and youthful years that was robbed from her, no no no she didn't want to go there again that part of her life is frozen.

She brought her thoughts to the present situations at hand, work stress, and even Jake the only thing that makes the world move around and makes her carry on. She tossed the pancake she was frying and placed it in a flat plate and poured the next paste inside the frying pan. She turned the pancake again waited till the other side was done. And put it in the flat plate with the rest. Dinner was done.

She heard a knock on the door and went to open the door as she wiped the magerine from her hand she checked through the door hole and and saw her neighbour Mrs Bankole, she is a short woman much older than her in her late fifties. She sighted as she saw her waiting for her to open the door. She wished she was like Mrs Bankole, so peaceful at everything and a believer, am sure she was bring one if her church activities invition to her again. She smiled as she opened the door for her.

"good evening Mrs Bankole, and how has being your day?" Bright asked. " hello dear, my day was good and where is my baby boy? " Mrs Bankole asked
" he went out to play football with some of his playmate and am sure he will be back as soon as the match is over" she replied
" well I was thinking that since it is still early that we have a service in church by 8 pm today, and am hoping to really see you there today if it is okay by you , you know it is more of a vigil and revival nights all packed in one day " Mrs Bankole said smiling.
" Well you see I dint plan on today's programme and Jake still has his assignments to do and some other things I have to do also, but thanks for inviting me though, I really appreciate maybe another time." That was all, I just want this day to end without people disturbing me with all these their religious stuffs, she has tried inviting me about four times now but am not intrested, I don't want to go to a church which talks about a God so loving and still allows bad things to happen to innocent people. " maybe on Sunday ma " Bright replied the woman who was still waiting for her to change her mind . Mrs Bankole always have her ways of making people say yes to her and she doesn't want to disappoint the only nice neighbour since she got to this apartment 5 months ago.
" okay dear, will be expecting you on Sunday, good night"
Bright gave another sight as she closed her door and went inside, she still had a a lot to do prepare for the next day, and rest for a while before Jake comes in and starts demanding for his dinner.
*************************************************************************

Pentuim Nursery and Primary school was like hell, a big pain the button for Jake Adams as much as he hated going to school he couldn't disobey his mom who keeps telling him that school and education is important in other to be something in these Nigerian economy. Right now he just wanted the bell to ring and tell them it is closing hour so that he can go back home and end the day.

" Jake, Jake stand up! What was the last statement I said? " His teacher Mrs Cole asked Jide who was deep in his own imagination of a sweet bed and food.
" emmmm, am mm mm, I don't know ma, you said, I mean you said, I mean the last thing you said was........ "
" keep quiet" Mrs Cole interrupted him before he finished blabbing his rubbish. Right now he was sure his teacher was ready to pounce on him or give him a punishment like standing up till the end of the class.

"You are just too dumb for your age, now put your buttocks back on that sit or I will send you out of these class, olodo oshi "

Everybody in class laughed at him and ouch!!! that hurt really bad and Jide felt like crying again, everyday was tourtue in school , the bell rang again and these time it wasn't the bell He likes to hear, it means time for break, time for bullying and punishment. Can the day get any better?????

" Hey Frog!!!! " that was Gbenga his class captain coming towards him he recognised the voice like the voice of his own and he knows who bears that nickname in school, nobody bears frog in school apart from him and when he hears that name he knows that it's time for trouble.
" tell me , what was that name that the maths teacher called you again sef, emmmm yah, I remember olodo and that is what you are an idiot" immediately he got near him Gbenga pushed him on the floor and other boys laughed at him.
" do you wanna eat your lunch in the school toilet or say with the cleaners? " mama's boy.

All these happen every day and Jake has learnt to always ignore them. As small and young as he was he has known what it was like to suffer humiliation just like his mother has gone through although she never said it in his front but circumstances made him know that life will never be easy for him or his mom, but he has always resolved that if going to school and passing was the only way to please his mom, then he was ready to pay that much sacrifice.

He left the other kids and went to his basket to check his food, his food was already on the floor and now what his mom has spent early hours to prepare has gone to waste again, what should he do now? sit down and mope at the food on the floor or ignore the hunger he was feeling right now, or his anger, or his mates that are laughing at his food as they stepped over it as if it was some thing on the floor.

Jake left the food on the floor took his cooler back to his basket and went back to his sit in class. He remembered the resolution he made when he was five that he will never cry no matter what people do to him or how much they push him.