Could You Be My Heroine?

*Lainey's pov* 

We sat in the living room, occasionally falling into silence but other times just talking like good friends. 

I would exchange awkward glances with Mercades, sometimes looking at her ring and feel my heart break a little piece by piece. 

Greg said something about some plan but there wasn't much happening till now. I know I should trust him with this. I looked at him and he just gave me a reassuring nod. 

Bobby was telling us something about his camera when the doorbell rang and Greg casually got up to answer the door. I wondered if this was part of his plan. 

I heard his distinctly talking to someone but couldn't figure out who and then entered the room again with Selena. 

Selena and I have been bestfriends for a long time though we drifted but our friendship's going pretty great now. I could definitely depend on her to save me from the awkward. 

Bobby seemed to choke on his water at the sight of my highschool best friend "Selena?" He almost croaked. 

Oh? 

I saw Greg slipping by side, smiling. 

"What's going on?" I whispered to him and I saw Selena's wide eyes. 

"Shhh trust me." He said putting an arm around me, I instantly felt safer and better. He turned his head slightly backwards and I heard him typing on his phone. 

Two seconds later, my phone pinged in my hands "Exes" He had sent. 

Oh. 

I looked at him, curious but didn't say anything turning to the apparent ex lovers and the drama. 

"I-" Bobby tried to speak but stopped. 

Mercades broke the tension with the question most of us wanted the answer to "What's going on?" 

More silence. 

"Hi" Selena finally blurted looking at Bobby. 

Mercades gave me a confused look, diffusing the earlier tension. I shrugged back at her. 

I heard Greg typing behind me and soon stepped aside. 

"Alright, you guys so I gotta go meet someone. Have fun, you all." He squeezed my shoulder and casually strolled out of the house. He was probably going to meet Andy and gosh this was awkward. 

"Well?" I finally questioned. 

"Could I talk to you in the kitchen?" Selena turned to me. 

"Sure." I said turning. 

We entered the kitchen and I rested one hand on the counter waiting for her to explain. 

"Well, Bobby and I have history." She said nervously. 

"I'm listening." I stood up straighter. 

"Well, we meet at a concert in like high school but you and I weren't talking then. Big fight remember?" I nodded recalling "So yeah, we had a thing for a while but then abruptly ended, like I don't even remember how but I remember it being terrible and to be honest I've never been over him but he did and just look how gorgeous his girlfriend is! And I feel so weird but I still like him a lot so I don't know." 

Selena finished in a rambling mess. 

"She is gorgeous." I said agreeing with her. 

"Are you even listening to me?! What do I even do?"