Chapter Eighteen: Explainations

“What?” she looked at me, her eyes wide “Are you sure?”

“Check the test” I sobbed and handed it to her “It’s positive, and I know it’s not wrong because I’m late”

“Sweetie I am so sorry” Sammi brought me in for a hug, rubbing my back. “Do you know who the father is?”

I shook my head briefly “It’s Ashley” I replied, my answer muffled against her skin.

“Who honey?” she pulled back to look at me, wiping the tears from my face.

I took a deep breath, knowing I would need to make her promise to not tell Jeremy or Ashley. I bit my lip and wiped the rest of the tears from my cheeks. “It’s Ashley, and don’t ask me if I’m positive because I am completely sure it’s his baby”

“When?” she sighed, clearly disappointed, and I wouldn’t blame her.

“The last night in New Mexico, after seeing Jer and apologizing. I got drunk with Ash, and we got a cab to a motel” I whispered, ashamed.

She ran her fingers through her hair and let out a frustrated sigh. She was thinking about what to say. Right now I wouldn’t blame her for calling me stupid. It would probably hurt less than the words I was throwing at myself. I just couldn’t do this alone, and with the guys on tour for another two months, I needed her with me to make sure I didn’t go crazy.

“What do you want to do?” she finally said “Do you want to see into an abor-”

“No” I replied quickly, cutting her off. “Sammi, I’ve been running from my mistakes for too long. I need to grow up and take responsibility, and if this is what is forcing me to do that then so be it”

“Okay” she replied softly. Another layer of silence fell over us before she spoke again. “When are you going to tell them?”

“Ashley doesn’t need to be involved” I replied plainly “I’ve done too much to him; he shouldn’t have to deal with raising a child that he had no plans on having probably ever”

“Scarlett, he’ll need to know” she replied.

“He’ll know eventually, but I am perfectly capable of being a single mother. I’m not going to make him give up his career or dreams for something so unplanned” I replied sternly, finally grappling onto reality and the need to grow up.

“And what about your brother?” she asked curiously.

“I’ll tell him when I’m ready. But when I do, just promise me that you’ll have him cool down before he rips off Ashley’s head” I chuckled a bit, knowing my brother would react and ask questions later.

“Okay” Sammi giggled, lifting the mood up, making it less dreary. “Do you need me to stay with you?” she looked at me with concern.

“Please” I sighed, relieved that she offered. I still felt bad for having her stay with me “I feel like I’d just… I don’t think I’d handle it well if I were to stay here and take care of myself”

“Okay sweetie, I’ll stay for as long as you need me. But we’ll have to be discrete when it comes to Jeremy coming home. If you don’t want him to know until you’re ready then we’ll have to be careful” she smiled a bit.

“Thank you Sammi” hugged her.

I felt that even though this was probably the last event I would expect to happen, it would help me in some way. Bringing new life to replace the ones lost. Being able to love something innocent and pure with all my heart, just as my Uncle Joey and Aunt Katherine loved each other before their untimely demise. Just as I loved Sam, just as I love Ashley. Maybe, having this baby will help me through my troubles and worries, and give me the ability to move one and love like I should be able to do.