The Big Reveal...

You stare at Dan in surprise. "Are you sure?"

He nods sincerely, finishing off his noodles and setting the empty bowl to the side. "What's the worst that can happen? They won't be able to track us down or anything, will they?"

You must admit you agree with him. "Yeah..."

"Should I do it now?" he asks.

"If you like," you reply, chewing your fingernail thoughtfully.

"No, Y/n. It's not my choice. You have to decide. I'll call it for you, but do you really want to call the number?" Dan says, looking into your eyes and clasping one of your hands, giving it a squeeze.

You nod firmly, after a few seconds of consideration. "Yeah. We'll never know who it is if we don't call it..."

He gives you a small smile. "That's the spirit. Let's do it - now."

You smile back, although yours is somewhat forced, due to your nerves. Dan picks up your phone, typing in your passcode.

"How did you know my password?" you ask, astonished.

"I'm your boyfriend," he replies, rolling his eyes and smiling. "And you use your phone literally all the time, how could I not notice?"

You stick your tongue out at him and mutter "I'll have to change that, then" as you watch him tap on the unknown number and start to call it.

He taps on a button so the speaker is on, and looks up at you, puffing his cheeks out and crossing his eyes. You laugh lightly, holding your hand up to your mouth.

Suddenly, the phone stops ringing, and is replaced with static noises. It's very unpleasant.

Dan raises his eyebrow. "Hello...?"

There's silence. Then - "Who's this?" someone demands, the static noises stopping abruptly.

You can't make out the gender of the voice for some reason, so you lean closer to the phone so you can hear the voice better.

Dan rolls his eyes. "You first, mate. You're the one who's been sending my girlfriend creepy messages."

"... Is this Daniel?"

Oh my god.

Dan's mouth falls open. He's speechless for a few minutes, and the person on the other end sounds like they're getting frustrated.

"Is anyone there?" they say harshly.

"Yeah," Dan replies. "Who are you?"

The person on the other end stays silent, and Dan grows angry. His brows knit together in frustration, and he lets out a puff of air.

Just then, you hear a 'beep!'. The person hung up. Of course.

"Fine, be like that," he hisses to your phone, even though the other person can't hear him now. Then, he turns to you.

"There are only a few people I know who call me Daniel - my old maths teacher, who I doubt would do this, my mum (occasionally), and your mum. And I'm certain my mum wouldn't do this to us. She loves it when I talk about you, and I see no reason why she'd pull a prank - especially one like this.

"That only leaves one option, really..." he finishes, scratching his wrist distractedly.

"My mum," you say for him, grimacing slightly. "And I think you're right. She's always been a bit... strange. But all the same, it doesn't make sense. Why would she fake her death?"

Dan stays silent for a while, nibbling on his lip. "I don't know," he replies eventually. "But I'm almost certain it was her."

"Should we call her back? I want to find out what's going on," you say, sighing. "I'm really fed up with her..."