Coincidence? I think not...

Dan's POV:

"Snap!"

I jump at how loud the voice is. It came from Y/n's mum, who just matched two cards together in the game 'Snap'.

"I win!" she exclaims, shoving her empty palm in my face, then Y/n's, showing us that she has no cards left.

I give her a small smile, even though I want to strangle her, honestly. She reminds me of an overly competitive two year old.

I set my cards down, and so does Y/n.

My phone starts ringing, startling me. I pull it out of my pocket and look at the caller ID.

Phil

I look up again, meeting the eyes of Y/n's mum, who is giving me a death glare.

"I've got to take this... um, sorry," I say to her, getting to my feet and walking out the lounge door, into the kitchen again.

I press the green 'accept' button and put my phone up to my ear.

"Hey, Phil."

"Dan," he replies anxiously. "Where are you?"

"I'm still at Y/n's mum's house... what's up?"

"I don't like being alone... it's getting dark."

I look out the window in surprise, and true to Phil's word, the sky is darkening slowly.

"Is Minty not with you?" I ask.

"No, she had to go home, her mum wanted her for a few hours."

"Oh."

"When are you coming back?"

"Soon, we're not doing much at the moment, so we can probably just leave now, if you like?"

"Yeah, that would be great..."

"You're such a wuss," I tease.

"Shut up," he grumbles, but I can hear the smile in his voice.

"If you're so afraid, call Minty and ask if she's free for the night. She can sleep over at ours, if she wants."

"Yeah. I should have thought of that... thanks!"

I chuckle. "No problem. I should probably go now, see you in about an hour?"

"Okay, bye!"

I smile and hang up. Putting my phone back into my pocket, I make my way back into the lounge. I smile at Y/n, and nod politely at her mother.

"Y/n, can I talk with you for a sec?" I ask.

She nods and gets up, following me into the kitchen. I close the door behind me. She looks up at me expectantly, one of her eyebrows raised.

"Can we go? Phil's getting anxious all on his own," I say, laughing softly.

She rolls her eyes. "I thought you'd never ask." She lowers her voice to a whisper. "She's doing my head in!"

I laugh again and interlock my fingers with hers, leading her back into the lounge.

"Thanks for everything, mum, but we have to go now," Y/n says to her mum.

She rises from the armchair she was sitting in and gives us a pleading look.

"Can't you stay the night?"

I look at Y/n and chew my lip. She shakes her head, much to my relief.

"We really have to get home..."