Sudden Realisations

"I'm very sorry to inform you that your mother has passed away in the fire," the policeman says to Y/n, sadness in his eyes.

She goes white. "W-What?"

"She's dead, Y/n," I confirm quietly, putting my hand on her shoulder reassuringly.

The police officer bows his head and walks out of the room, muttering something about giving us some privacy.

Y/n closes her eyes and takes a few deep, shaky breaths.

"It's okay to cry," I tell her softly. "Just let it all out."

Tears begin trickling from her eyes.

"I don't even know why I'm crying," she says, with a watery laugh. "My mum was such a horrible person."

I hum in agreement. "Yeah, she was pretty mean, but she was still part of your family, in the end."

She nods and tries to wipe her tears away, which doesn't really work, as her eyes keep producing new ones.

"Agh, stop it, Y/n!" she mumbles to herself.

I sit down on the hospital bed and put my arms around her, pulling her gently into my embrace. She cries quietly into my hospital gown.

Suddenly, the door opens and an important looking man steps into the room. He glances at us.

"Sorry, is this a bad time...?"

Y/n raises her head to look at him. "No, I'm fine," she says croakily, wiping her eyes. "What is it?"

"I'm here to tell you how the fire started," he says.

I nod, wanting him to continue. I notice a clipboard in his hands.

"It appears that there was an electrical fault on the landing, which produced a spark and made the carpet go up in flames, which spread extremely quickly," he explains, tapping his fingers on the top of the clipboard impatiently.

"Oh. Uh, thank you. How much of the house was able to be saved?" I ask.

He looks at his clipboard again. "Around half of it. The bedrooms on the third storey were completely destroyed, as well as the landing and stairs. The first and second storeys are mostly intact."

Y/n nods slowly. "Was any-"

The door flies open and a familiar black haired man rushes in, accompanied by a young woman with short brown hair.

"Holy mother of noodles! Are you guys okay? I was so worried!" he gushes, grabbing my head and inspecting my face for any injuries. He does the same to Y/n, but much gentler.

"Phil, dude, calm down," I say, laughing.

He releases Y/n's head sheepishly. "Sorry. I was just anxious. Are you guys hurt?"

The man with the clipboard sighs and storms out of the room.

I erupt into laughter again.

Phil smiles slightly, but then looks serious again. "But really, are you hurt?"

"I'm just a bit bruised - I'm fine. But Y/n has really bad burns on her leg," I reply, looking over at her sympathetically.

Minty gasps. "Oh my goodness, are you okay, Y/n?!"

She shrugs. "I guess so. It hurts like f***, though."

I widen my eyes and try to look shocked. "You said a bad word!"

She punches me lightly on the shoulder as a response. "You can't talk, Mr Swear-A-Lot."

I pout. "You're mean."