Nostalgia and Vegetable Pie

You take a shaky breath and knock on your mother's door. Dan scans your face anxiously, and squeezes your hand reassuringly.

The door swings open.

"Sweetie!" your mother greets, pulling you into a tight hug.

You pull away after what you think is an acceptable amount of time, and give her a forced smile. "Hi, mum."

She smiles widely at you and turns to Dan, putting her hand out for him to shake. He does, giving her a small smile.

"Nice to see you again, Mrs L/n," he says.

She grins at him. "You too... Dan, was it?"

You clench your jaw in annoyance at her. Dan slips his hand into yours and squeezes comfortingly.

"Yeah, that's me," he confirms, chuckling.

"Hm, well, come inside!" she says, giving Dan a weird look, then turning away and walking into the house.

You roll your eyes at her and follow her inside, still clutching Dan's hand. She leads you into the kitchen, and a wave of nostalgia hits you.

Your mum looks at you with an annoyed expression on her face. "I was beginning to think that you weren't coming down at all."

"What?" You pull out your phone and check the time. You thought that you took only five minutes...

You took half an hour.

You cringe at the memory, and scrunch up your nose. Your mother sits down at the table, and gestures for you both to sit, too. You do.

"Tea, anyone?" she asks.

"Yes, please," Dan says, smiling slightly.

You nod, but more out of politeness than actually wanting a cup. Your mum is pretty bad at making tea.

She gives you a stern look. "What do you say?"

"Yes, please, mum," you say, with gritted teeth.

You're not five any more, for heaven's sake.

She gets up from the table and puts the kettle on to boil. While pulling the teabags out of the cupboard, she gives Dan another weird look, her eyebrows furrowed.

"I hope you treat my daughter right, Daniel. She deserves nothing less," she says firmly.

He suddenly looks serious, and nods. "I try my best, Mrs L/n. Y/n is the most important person to me."

At this point, he looks over at you, squeezes your hand under the table and smiles brightly. You look into his dark eyes and smile back, a genuine smile this time.

"I should hope so," your mother says from behind you, reaching over your shoulder and setting a cup of tea in front of you. You mumble a "Thanks."

She does the same with Dan, and he thanks her quietly, looking at it. It's streaky, and more of a grey colour than the normal 'tea colour'. You give him an apologetic look as he takes a sip.

His face screws up in distaste, and he starts coughing. You pat him on the back anxiously. Your mother watches both of you, not letting even a hint of a smile show.

"You okay?" you ask him quietly.

He nods quickly, coughing once more and straightening up in his seat again. "Sorry about that, I'm just getting over a cold," he lies.

She seems to take it as a genuine excuse, luckily. "Yes, I had a cold about a week ago, too. It must be going round."

He nods again, tilting his head sympathetically. You make eye contact, and he gives you an amused look. You grin.