Soggy Cereal

The sun shines through a gap in your curtains and onto your eyelids, waking you up. You groan and turn over, tightly squeezing your eyes shut as if that would make the sun go away. You hear a sleepy sigh from your right, startling you and provoking you to open your eyes. You look over to see Dan lying next to you, his curls falling a little in front of his eyes. One of his arms is spread out lazily on the pillow and the other is lying under you.

You forgot that he came to sleep next to you last night. You remember the horrible dreams you were having and shudder, trying to block out the thought.

"Good morning," Dan mumbles sleepily, his voice slightly croaky.

You're grateful of the distraction from your thoughts. "Hello. Did you sleep well?" you ask quietly, finding your voice to be a little raspy too. You look over at him to see that he's squinting from the harsh invasion of light.

"Yeah. Your bed is so much comfier than mine." He pretends to be upset, making a crying face. "Did you? Sleep well, that is."

"Well, not really," you reply truthfully, rubbing your tired and sore eyes. "You can guess why." You pause. "It would've been a lot worse if you hadn't have come in, though. Thank you."

"You're welcome. I'm always on hand to be your nightmare comforter," Dan says with a smile, looking over at you briefly.

You laugh. "Greatly appreciated."

"I'm serious, Y/n," he says, surprising you. "I'm always here if you need me."

"Thank you. Same with you, if you ever need anything I won't be far," you reply sincerely.

There's a short, comfortable pause.

"So, what do you want to do today?" he asks.

"Sleep," you reply immediately, closing your eyes and pretending to snore.

Dan chuckles at your reluctance as you open your eyes again. He yawns, then widens his eyes. "Oh! What time is it?"

You furrow your eyebrows in confusion, but reach for your phone anyway. You read the time. "Half ten. Why?"

"The police are going to the landlord today to bring him in for questioning. They said they'd do it in the morning sometime," he replies, looking over at you briefly.

"I forgot about that," you admit, recalling the events from the previous day. "I really hope he's found to be guilty."

"We all do," Dan says quietly, a sympathetic smile on his face. He sits up. "I'm quite hungry, I think I'll go and get some breakfast. Do you want me to bring you anything?"

"No, thanks. I'll be up in a few minutes, I'll get something then," you reply with a smile.

"Alright. See you," he says, swinging his legs over the side of the bed, getting up and walking out of your room.

After a few seconds, you yawn and get out of bed, missing the warmth from the moment your feet touch the floor. You resist the urge to crawl back in and walk over to your chest of drawers, picking out some comfy clothes and getting dressed. You notice you were still wearing your clothes from last night, meaning you must have fallen asleep on the sofa.

You yawn again and go to the kitchen to get something to eat. Halfway through pouring some Crunchy Nut into a bowl, you hear Dan's voice.

"That sounds a lot like my cereal, Phil!" he exclaims, walking into the kitchen. He looks at you and looks mildly embarrassed. "Sorry. I'm just so used to Phil eating my cereal that I assumed it was him..." He laughs, looking briefly at the cereal bowl. That is my cereal though," he adds with an expression of feigned anger.