Advice with Dan

You all finish your drinks and food, walking out of the warmth and cosiness of the cafe into the chill and desolation of the street. You pull your coat tighter around you to save some heat, shivering slightly.

"What now?" you ask Dan and Phil. "Back to the flat?"

"I thought it would be nice to go to Hyde Park, or something like that," Dan replies, shrugging. "What do you think?" he asks both of you.

​You nod, giving him a small smile. "Yeah, that would be great."

You both turn to look at Phil, who frowns. "Actually, I have to get back and edit some videos," he says, giving you both an apologetic look. "I don't want to leave it till last minute."

"Oh, okay. That's understandable. Do you want us to come back with you?" Dan asks, looking a little disappointed at Phil's words.

"Of course not," Phil replies. "Go to the park, don't worry about me. I'll see you later, okay?"

Dan smiles, a hint of sadness behind his eyes. "Okay. Bye."

He shoots you both a final smile as he walks away, waving. You and Dan both wave back, smiling too. Suddenly the wind picks up, making the air around you cold and nipping at your fingertips. You secretly ache to hold Dan's hand again, knowing that it'll give you a little warmth.

"Okay..." he says, partly to himself, breaking the short silence. "Hyde Park is this way." He gestures to his left, smiling at you.

After a short walk, you arrive at the gates of Hyde Park. There aren't many people about, which isn't surprising, really, as it's extremely cold now.

Dan shivers, zipping his coat up. "Maybe this wasn't such a good idea." He frowns, sighing.

You feel a burst of sympathy for him. "Don't worry," you say softly. "We'll warm up as we walk."

He smiles at you briefly, looking over into the trees and quietly laughing to himself. You look over at him, puzzled.

"What're you laughing at?"

"We've only known each other for a few days, yet you always seem to know exactly what to say," he replies, suddenly looking shy. "How?"

You're stunned, finding it hard to form a reply. "I don't know... I didn't think I was very good at saying the right thing."

Dan scoffs quietly. You know he doesn't mean it in a bad way, however, as he smiles warmly at you afterwards. As you walk (or limp again, in your case), your feet fall in time with each other, making you both laugh childishly. A warm feeling settles over you, adding a sparkle to your eyes and a bounce to your step.

Dan finally comes to a stop near a weeping willow tree, towering over you both and nearly covering the small wooden bench underneath with its long hanging branches.

He sits down on the bench and pats the space next to him, gesturing for you to sit down. You do, silently waiting for him to say something - all conversation starters have completely disappeared from your mind, leaving you speechless.

"Have you found a new job yet?" he asks out of the blue, crossing his legs.

You sigh slightly, feeling the familiar weight of procrastination on your shoulders. "No, a lot's been going on recently... I just haven't really had the time. That last interview put me off looking for a job, but I'll have to get one at some point."

You look over at Dan, who looks deep in thought. "I don't want to sound like I'm pressuring you, but you could always try making videos," he says, looking at you. "YouTube videos, that is," he adds, laughing quietly.