The Aftermath

You open your eyes slowly and painfully, waiting for them to focus so you can see where you are. You blink a few times, and that seems to help you to see around you, although everything is still a bit blurry. You're in Dan and Phil's lounge, lying on the sofa.

Phil, previously on his laptop, looks at you and smiles. "Dan, she's awake," he says quite loudly, looking to the left of you.

You move your head to look in that direction, and see a sleeping Dan on the floor, leaning his head on the coffee table. He jerks awake, banging his head on the wooden surface and cursing.

Dan looks at you, the purple bags under his eyes prominent. "Are you okay?" he asks softly, concern etched on his face.

"Not really," you reply croakily, giving him a weak smile which he returns. "But I'll survive. How long have I been out?"

"About three hours," Phil says. He looks worried. "What happened?" he asks, closing the lid of his laptop and setting it on the floor.

You tell them all about what happened with the landlord, trying not to leave any details out. However, you leave the bit downstairs out. You doubt anyone would believe you about a pair of eyes in the dark.

During your explanation, you occasionally stop to cough, the rough exhale of air hurting your chest.

"... and then I blacked out on your step," you finish, coughing again.

Dan and Phil exchange looks for a few seconds, and then Dan looks back at you, a determined look on his face.

"You have to stay with us," he says firmly, his tone showing that he's not just making a suggestion of what you should do, he's telling you.

"You would do that for me?" you ask in disbelief. "I could just stay at a hotel or someth-"

"Don't be silly," Dan says, beaming. "We'd love to have you stay."

Phil nods kindly, smiling.

"Wow, thank you so much," you say, "I'd love that."

"Don't mention it," Phil says warmly. "Do you want me to go over and get your stuff?"

You frown at his words. "No, don't. I'm not sure if it's safe there... I don't want you to get hurt."

He smiles again. "I won't get hurt. I trained in karate when I was five."

"Really?" Dan asks sarcastically, raising his eyebrow at Phil and smiling.

"No," Phil admits, chuckling a bit. "But I'll be fine. Don't worry about me, Y/n."

"Honestly Phil, be careful. Should I come with you?" Dan asks.

Phil opens his mouth to refuse again, but you cut him off.

"That's a good idea, actually," you say, pausing to cough. "Everything I have over there will probably be too much for one person to carry. My suitcase is also quite heavy... I may or may not have packed all my books."

"Will you be okay here on your own?" Dan asks worriedly.

"Yeah," you reply, giving him a smile to reassure him. You suddenly remember the keys, fishing around for them in your hoodie pocket and giving them to Dan.

He takes them then looks at you for a few seconds more, his expression unreadable. He turns back to Phil. "Let's go, then. Put on your jacket, it's freezing out there."

They both leave the room, then Phil puts his head around the door. "We won't be long," he says, then waves briefly at you and goes out of sight.

Your hear the zip of a jacket, footsteps gradually getting quieter, and then finally a door closing. You shut your eyes in an attempt to ease the throbbing of your head and wait for them to come back.