The Interview

Your room is still dark when you wake up, and the road outside is completely silent. That's strange. You finally come to the conclusion that you've woken up early, which doesn't happen very often.

You check the time on your phone, and your suspicion is confirmed as you read the time - 5:30am.

You lock your phone again and set it back on the bedside table, closing your eyes. You're absolutely knackered from staying up last night, plus from the busy day before. You suddenly remember everything, smiling to yourself.

Then you remember that you have over 40 Facebook messages from your mum to still look at and respond to. You reluctantly pull your laptop onto the bed, turning it on and going into your messages on Facebook.

Your mum sounds absolutely livid, and sarcastic in some (as usual). Some of the messages include:

Why won't you message me?!

I miss you...

I thought you said you would contact me every day. I guess not, huh?

You groan, rubbing your fingers on the stress lines on your forehead. You make a quick decision to call her now and face the music. She's usually up quite early anyway.

You dial the number of your old house and wait for her to pick up, already slightly regretting the decision to call her.

"Hello?" your mum's voice says at the other end of the line.

"Hey mum!" you reply overly cheerfully, hoping to get her in a happy mood.

"Y/N! WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING, NOT PHONING ME SOONER!?" she bellows, making your ears hurt.

You hold the phone further away from you to avoid permanent ear damage. She's overreacting, way too much. You understand that she wants to talk to you, but it's only been three days (including this one) since she dropped you off at the house.

"Hold on, mum. I've just been settling in, okay?" you protest, trying to stay calm.

'THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE! YOU SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE TIME FOR YOUR MOTHER, YOUNG LADY! I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO CONTACT YOU SINCE YOU LEFT, AND I'VE BEEN SO WORRIED!"

"Mum, slow down! It's only been three days since we talked in real life. I understand you're worried about me, but you don't have to shout like that."

"I JUST WANTED TO KNOW HOW YOU WERE GETTING ON WITH YOUR NEW HOME AND EVERYTHING, IS THAT SO HARD?!"

"No, of course not-"

"WHY DIDN'T YOU CONTACT ME, THEN?! YOU MAKE ME WISH THAT I NEVER HAD YOU!"

That's the final straw for you, and you lose your temper, barely managing to stop yourself from shouting back at her. "Call me when you've calmed down," you spit, hanging up and slamming the phone down onto the bed.

She's incredibly overprotective of you, even though you're an adult, and she knows perfectly well you can fend for yourself. You're twenty one years old, for goodness' sake!  You don't understand. Why does she have to freak out about it?

You exhale deeply in an attempt to calm yourself down. You can't deal with conflict this early in the morning - or at any time, for that matter.

A few days back, you saw an advert on Facebook for a café quite near your house, that was looking for new staff. You thought that today you might go there and see if you could get a small job as a waitress or something. The interview period is from ten o'clock to eleven o'clock, so you have a while to sleep before you have to leave (it's 6am now).