Black Sand and the Dark Voice

Chapter 16

~Merida P.O.V. ~

“Toothless! Merida, I saw him!” I heard Hiccup screaming.

“Where?”

“Back there behind those twisted trees!” He shouted.

“Alright boy, let’s go back.” I said to Angus. “Hiya!” We, I mean Angus, ran back to where Hiccup saw Toothless. When we reached there, I got off Angus.

In front of us were two twisted trees as Hiccup said. They were perfectly bent down unto the ground forming an arch. It looks like it created an entrance.

“I saw Toothless’ tail right over there.” Hiccup said pointing at the hedging plants.

“Ohhh, this place is creeping me inside and out.” My dearest sister complained. I went near her and… Angus was like ‘freaking out’?

“What do ye mean?” I asked her.

“Look,” She pointed her fingers shakily at the trees which were warped. We saw writings on them. I don’t understand it. They were carved in some sort of..

“Elvish.” Hiccup said.

How does he know?

“It says ‘Beware. Danger. Death. Only those of bravest and courageous people can outlast.’ ” He read it.

Impressive. 

(A/N the writing looks like this --->> picture at the side.. yeah.. i know how to write elvish.. somehow i knew.. ^_^)

“How-did-you…” Rapunzel was going to ask when he finished it off for her.

“..Understand it?” Hiccup said and Rapunzel nodded.

“Well let’s just say I do a lot of reading.” He said looking at the writings. Rapunzel and I glanced at each other as if to say ‘Huh?’ then we shrugged.

“Well, let’s go now.” I said bravely. I grabbed Angus but he hesitated. “Come on you coward!” I shouted and it made him offended so he bumped me. I fell into the ground and Hiccup and Rapunzel were snickering. 

“Ow,” I moaned. I gave the two of them a death glare and they stopped laughing. “Come ON.” I pushed Angus’ -uhh- buttocks into the entrance. And I finally succeeded. I stepped in and noticed the others were not following so I turned back. They just froze to where they were standing with their big shocking eyes. Ugh...

“What now?” I asked.

“Are you kidding me? Sis, it says ‘Beware. Danger. Death!’ Doesn’t THAT even give you the creeps?”

“Oh come on. It’s written on a tree. It could be just a fib.” I said calmly.

“Easy for you to say because you’re brave.” Hiccup said.

I blinked. “I am?” I asked.

“Uhm, yes. I can actually tell that by your arrows.” He said gesturing at my quiver. I paused for a while and made up my mind.

“Well if I’m oh so brave, I can ‘protect’ both of ye while entering this piece of junk. And besides, if anyone of us gets hurt, Rapunzel will use her healing power.” I said cleverly. Huh! They can’t say no to tha’!

They exchanged glances. They were making a decision, I guess?

“So? Ye’re comin’ or wot?!” I said.

They sighed and.. “We’ll-”

"Great! Now let's go." I said not letting them finish and lead the way. Hiccup and Rapunzel were like dead ducks. They were shaking and shivering to death!