Part 13

Michael left the lift and trudged across the foyer toward the food court. He was grumpy, hungry and pissed off.

“You look like you need a holiday,” a sweet sympathetic voice said.

Michael turned to see whose pity he’d inspired. She sounded pretty sexy.

Fuck.

Behind him, he saw Mel smiling at the security guard, who didn’t look a bit like the one in Michael’s photos.

“Hi, Mel. I sure do, but every time I take a holiday they get some joker in from a security agency who makes more work for me when I come back.”

Mel laughed. “Now, Graeme, we all know you’re indispensable. How bad can some temporary security guard be? It’s not like the building burned down last time you were away.”

Graeme looked grumpier than Michael, or so Michael thought. “Only bloody lucky it didn’t. The idiot they got last time shut down the security cameras and the lifts when he had to get an electrician in to fix the air conditioning. We’re lucky no one sued us. Some girl fainted in the heat and with no security footage we haven’t even got that to take to court. Fucking idiot…at least he got a good sparky, who fixed it in record time. He’s the best we’ve ever had…I’ve called him in a couple times since. ”

Mel’s laughter rang out, louder than before. “He sounds like the perfect electrician. I’ll have to ask you for his number some time…”

I should have asked for hers, Michael thought, hurrying out before she saw him staring.

Ten minutes later, he dumped his bowl of Thai food on a tiny table in the food court, scanning his notes in the hope that he’d work out where to next.

Find the fisher-woman with the big boobs.

He snorted into his soup, slurping up some noodles to cover the sound when he saw the woman at the table across the way turn and stare.

Next, the star squash player.

Michael spooned up a few more mouthfuls of soup. He had the woman’s details, he’d contact her for a chat and a few questions.

What next?

He thought about returning to speak to Mel, hoping she had some more insights for him. Or at least she might flirt with him like she had with the security guard.

It hit him so quickly he almost knocked his soup over.

Fuck. I have to ask him about the agency security guard. And the electrician, don’t forget him.

Michael looked down at the remains of his soup. After lunch, he decided.

He fished something green and crunchy-looking out of his bowl and popped it in his mouth.

And I have to find Caitlin fucking Lockyer. Again.

Michael closed his eyes, biting down so hard that the chopsticks snapped.

For that, I’ll need Nathan Miller. And given how useless he was last time, who knows if he’ll succeed?