Surprise (Chapter 36)

This chapter will be told in the perspectives of both Matt and Gabby!

Gabby Pov

Today was going to be my last day at work. It wasn't easy for me. It's nice to be working and feeling like I am doing good. When I started here, I felt that this job was going to be as important. I was going to be working ambo or truck. I wasn't going to be out there doing all that, and physically helping. I wasn't so much connecting with a lot of people. I was doing the paperwork and investigating what went wrong. It was something I had learned as a firefighter. I appreciated this work and it became a part of me, very quickly. This was just a different side of everything. Now I just have to focus on making sure everything is good for our baby. I can't wait to see him or her enter this world.

Matt's POV

Gabby was going to working all day for the time. I was happy for her because I know what this job became for her. It was something for her. It helped her feel like she was still helping and responding. She was helping in the way that no arsonist would get away. She was the best person for the job. She's seen all the sides of all the jobs. She has all the knowledge. I'm glad she got to see this side of job for this last month.

I wanted things to be great for her when she came home. I didn't want to see her worry. I had a plan and I knew it was a great one. Today I'm going to finish the baby's room off. Everything was going to be finished by the time she got home.

I knew that I need Severide and Antonio for this one. I couldn't do this alone, and they were the most important guys for this job. I called Antonio " hey man.. what are you doing?" He responded " nothing.. no cases.. what's up..?" I responded " I was going to.. surprise Gabby with a finished nursery?" He laughed " She's going to love it.. I'll be over in like a half hour man.."

Severide and Antonio came over. It was a hard job, but we did it. We got the nursery all finished. All the furniture was classic wood, and I can't believe how good it came out. I was just hoping that Gabby would love it, just as much as I do.

Thanks for reading!!