Santa Cruz

I'm watching Into The Storm as I write this chapter. I love the idiots that filmed the pool scene with the fire in the pool and the ride on lawn mower landing in the pool and it breaking.

Here's another chapter of Heartbreak. I hope you all enjoy.

***

I've been living in Santa Cruz for a week. After I left Maddox behind in New York I hired a car and drove here.

I live in a one bedroom apartment that overlooks the beach.

The guy that runs the building is a grumpy old fart that makes whistling noises with his nose every time he breathes.

I think I need to get some earplugs for when I'm around whistler.

Today I'm looking for a job. I need to money for the apartment I'm living in. I pick up resume and and handbag. I walk out the door.

I walk along the boardwalk and come across cafes and shops. I put my resume into all of them.

The last cafe on the boardwalk has people lining up onto the streets.

There's a girl around my age pushing through the crowd and collecting cups from the tables.

I walk over to her. "Do you need some help?"

She nods. "Yeah, can you collect all the cups and bring them into the kitchen?"

I put my bag behind the counter and collect the cups from the tables and wipe them down.

The line moves and it takes fifteen minutes until the final person on the street is served.

The girl my age sits at a table. "Do you have a resume?"

I give it to her.

She flips threw the pages. "I want you here tomorrow morning at seven for an induction. I'll train you how to make coffee using our machines."

I shake her hand. "Thanks."

She smiles. "My name is Lauren."

"I'm Samantha."

"It's nice to meet you. I have to go to the office. If you want something to drink one of my employees will get it." Lauren walks behind the counter and into a room.

On the way back to my apartment my phone rings and I look at the called ID before answering it.

"Hey, Maddie,"

"Guess who's back in town?"

I shake my head. "I'm not in the mood for games. Who's in town?"

"Maddox Colt."

My grip on the phone tightens. "What's he doing there?"

"He's looking for you."

I sigh. "Does he know what happened between my parents and me?"

"Yes, his Aunt and Uncle took him to my work and told him over lunch. Maddox isn't happy and I think he's ready to hurt people."

"Don't tell him where I am."

"I won't. Sam, please go to one of his games before you give birth to the kid. Take care of yourself and I'll see you in two months."

"Okay, I'll show you around town and where I work."

"You got a job? That's great."

I hear a male say. "Maddie is that..."

I hang up the phone.