○ Chapter 14 ○ - A Friend...

Start from the beginning

"No way! L is amazing... I mean - everyone's been saying that he's getting nowhere with the investigation and that he's a complete idiot and stuff." she mumbles through her fingers in surprise "But he already knows that much?" Light then has to explain how he is part of the investigation and how he can plan to get close to L and be able to eliminate him.

"You and L are in contact with eachother?" Misa pushes. "Then that's even more amazing. This is getting so exciting!"

"Even though he suspects I'm Kira, L figures he's safe as long as I don't know his real name. He came right out and told me who he was just to get to me. However, he's only focusing on me because he has no other suspects. And he has no evidence. At this moment, I'm working with them on the case, and little by little, I'm winning his trust."

"Great, so all you have to do is take me to where L is and see his real name for you."

"I'm afraid it's not that simple. Listen, it was difficult enough for me to get close to him; besides, if all of a sudden someone I just met gets too close and at the same time the police detect changes in Kira and the second Kira's behavior, that person would be suspected of being the second Kira. And of course, that'll put me in under even greater suspicion.

"We can't allow them to make that connection which means we can't appear to be too close to eachother. Do you understand what I'm saying?"

"Well, I think I understand... So is that why we can't go on dates? We can't be seen in public because it'll look too suspicious?"

"Look, we need to take the time now to come up with a good plan; some way you can see L without letting him know you exist."

"Yeah!"

"I can't eliminate L without you, so I'll call you and see you as often as this situation allows."

"You will?"

Light knows she still isn't getting the concept. "But, to make sure that our meetings don't stand out, I have to make sure that I'm seen with other girls, okay?" Misa is instantly taken by fury.

"Huh!? You're seriously gonna date other girls!?"

"More or less..."

"I don't want you to!!" Misa's outburst even surprises Light , and his eyes widened. Misa stands up from her chair quickly while clenching her fists. Light sees her eyes glow crimson again - her Shinigami eyes not only representing her power to kill, but the threatening side of them as well. "If I see you with another girl, I'll kill her."

"Ooo, scary~" Ryuk comments.

"Look, Misa-chan," Light continues inna softer tone, clearly trying to charm Misa. Ryuk chuckles.

"-Chan? Hehehehe." Light strides right over to Misa and grabs her shoulders reassuringly, looking right into her eyes.

"This isn't a game - both of us are risking our lives to change the world, aren't we?" Misa looks away in uncertainty, but surely not refusing Light's closeness to her.

"I know that, but... I love you more than the world, Light." she confesses and looks back at him.

"It sounds like you're confused. Maybe it feels that way to you but maybe you're here because you admire Kira. You don't even know me. We just met." Misa pulls out of his soft grip and sits back down in the chair, bringing her hands together.

"Don't you believe in love at first sight?" she asks childishly.

"No."

"I admit that everything you said was true; I did want to meet Kira out of gratitude and respect, not love. But from the moment I first saw you - I knew..."