Which to bury, us or the hatchet

Chapter 56: Which to bury, us or the hatchet

It was Saturday morning and Kori stared up at her room ceiling in a daze. The events of last night had affected her greatly and she couldn't take her mind off of Dick. Her fingers absently brushed over her now bruised arm and she winced a little when she touched the part where Dick had grabbed her. Kori didn't know what to make of the situation.

Had Dick purposely tried to hurt her or was it an accident?

Was it the alcohol's influence or his anger?

There were to many questions and no answers. Kori didn't like this. All it did was send her on a road filled with worry. Was Dick alright? Was drinking a one night thing or did he drink occasionally?

More questions went unanswered and only succeeded in bringing Kori a headache. She groaned when she felt her stomach growl. Some breakfast was in order. Maybe after a full meal she could think straight. Kori nodded her head, getting some food was a good plan. She picked up her robe and slipped it on. She couldn't let Komi or Raven find out about the bruise.

Once that was done she walked downstairs and headed for the kitchen. A smell of pancakes filled the air. When Kori walked into the kitchen she saw Raven sitting at the table with a cup of tea in hand and her latest novel in front of her. Kori's gaze went to the side where she saw Komi with a small stack of pancakes in front of her. Kori decided to put on a smile so no one would suspect a thing.

"Greetings, is it not a lovely day?" Kori asked in a happy voice.

Raven raised her eyes from her book then her gaze went back down. She hadn't a reply for Kori's comment.

"Kori, do me a favor and wash the dishes." Komi said as she finished up her meal.

"Why can't you do it?" Kori asked as she pulled out a bowl from the cabinet.

"Because I'm leaving early to go see Donna. I'm spending the night at her house," Komi said before she walked out of the room. She paused at the door. "Do it or I'll kick your ass."

"I'd like to see you try." Kori snapped back, filling her bowl with cereal.

Komi smiled. "It's good to have you back. I'll be home maybe Monday or Tuesday. I haven't decided yet."

"Alright." Kori said absently, putting the milk back in the refrigerator.

Komi said nothing and grabbed her bag which she left by the door and walked out, leaving Kori alone with Raven. Kori took a seat at the table and sat opposite of Raven. She ate in silence, trying not to draw attention.

"Kori."

Kori froze. "Y-yeah..."

"I was talking with Karen yesterday and her parents are leaving for the weekend. They said she could invite two friends over so she wants us to come and spend the night."

Kori sighed in relief. "Sure, that would be great."

Raven closed her book and pushed it to the side. She finished up her tea and then looked at Kori who seemed to be in her own little world as she ate her cereal. Raven narrowed her eyes, something was off about Kori, she could tell.

"What's wrong?"

Kori froze and dropped her spoon in her bowl. Kori wasn't the best liar out there but she hoped she could fool Raven. She put on a fake smile.

"Nothing is wrong. Everything is wonderful."

"I've known you for a long time, Kori," Raven said. "If something is bothering you I would like to think you could tell me. You can tell me any thing, you know that right?"