↑ Chapter 11 ↓ - This Isn't Like Him

Depuis le début

"Kira has instructed us to air the second tape today at exactly 5:59 pm, and we do intend to comply with his demands. This tape should offer proof of his powers by predicting yet another death. Beyond that, we understand that it contains a message to all the people of the world from Kira."

"T-this has to be another fake, don't you think?" Aizawa says.

"I doubt it," Matsuda answers. "I'm sure not even Sakura T.V. would stoop that low."

"But for Kira, however..." I begin. "Taking hostages...?" I say it mostly for Ryuuzaki, wondering if he's thinking what I'm thinking.

"And now the video." The screen changes to a logo that spells out Kira, and has an off-white backround to it just as it hits 5:59 pm. A few shuffling noises are heard, then a modified voice (an extremely deep voice) speaks.

"I am Kira. If this video was being aired on April 18th, at exactly 5:59 pm like I requested, then the time now is 5:59 - 47 - 48 - 49. Please change the channel to Tayo T.V. Their news anchor will die of a heart-attack at exactly 6:00."

We all gasp. Killing the news anchor!? I think as my heart rate goes up and a frown appears on my face. Either he's going to tell us that he committed a crime, or...

"Change it." Ryuuzaki orders us. Watari flips the channel, and sure enough the anchor is dead, sitting on his chair.

"It can't be!" Aizawa-san says. I begin to bite my nails; which became a new habit much less painful than my lip.

He killed someone, who to our knowledge, was innocent... something isn't right...

"How could he!?" Ukita demands in shock.

"Change the channel back." Ryuuzaki says firmly. I've never heard him sound so demanding. "And I need you to bring us another T.V., Watari. No, make it two."

"Yes." Watari answers. We continue to watch the video, but I grab the remote and move over a bit closer to the T.V., kneeling down so that it's level with my line of sight.

"-I will present you with another victim." Kira says. "My next target is, NHN T.V. commentator, Komizomi Seiji, who is scheduled to appear in a live broadcast. He too has dared to deify Kira."

"R-Ryuuzaki, he's-!" I begin.

"Change it to channel 24." He says. I hit the buttons quickly, and NHN in on, with their commentator dead sitting at his desk. The image was already there, so as soon as our minds could recognize the image on the screen, Ryuuzaki speaks. "Please change it back." he says dully. I do so.

"Now that you've seen proof of my powers, it should be no trouble believing that I am Kira." the voice coming from the speakers says. Wait... Kira said that he was going to send a message to the people of the world-

"Stop this broadcast!" Ryuuzaki suddenly says, breaking the monotone in his voice. "We can't let him finish!" he commands. Aizawa and Matsuda already take the two phones on the desk, leaving me and Ukita to sit and anticipate.

"Get Sakura T.V. on the line!" I hear Matsuda shout.

"It's no good." Aizawa-san says. "I'm trying but none of my contacts at the station have their phones on!"

"And nobody's picking up at reception, either!" Matsuda says. Ukita storms over to the door im anger. "Ukita!"

"I'll stop this broadcast myself if that's what it takes!" he leaves, slamming the door.