Chapter 55

Back at the Taylor's house, mom and dad prepared for family and friends to join them for a nice BBQ. Mr. Taylor had the backyard cleared and arranged per Mrs. Taylor's specifications, along with the heaters to keep everyone warm. The wood in the fire pit popped and crackled as it promised to warm the guest and melt the marshmallows for S'mores later. Nothing was better than gooey marshmallow goodness with chocolate and graham crackers.

As 4:00 approached, so did the guests. Lena and her family arrived along with Sara and her husband. Next were a few neighbors from down the street and of course Aunt Lou. They each brought a side dish and a dessert. By the time everyone had arrived, there was enough food to feed the entire neighborhood twice.

Ryan and Rachel arrived with ice as promised and greeted everyone. Mom met them at the gate. "Thanks for getting the ice, but why don't y'all go wash up. Daddy's cooking the burgers and hot dogs now."

"Yes Ma'am." Ryan said as he hugged her and followed Rachel into the house. "I guess your mom was not kidding about a few people coming over."

"Yeah, I am actually surprised more people aren't here. I bet my uncles are on their way." Rachel noted as they walked to the bathroom to wash their hands. Remembering the last time they were in this bathroom together made her smile to herself. Warren was such a big baby over a little toothpick stick and then Ryan came in and caught Warren getting a little too close.

Ryan noticed Rachel was in deep thought. "What thoughts are you dwelling on in the pretty head of yours?"

Shrugging her shoulders as she dried her hands, she looked at him. "Just remembering how Warren was stabbed by the toothpick in the cake and you came in here thinking he was getting too fresh with me."

His eyes rolled as he pushed away a flash of anger. "That was pretty funny but not the part where he tried to touch you or kiss you or whatever he was trying to do. I still should have kicked his ass for that."

"Hey, I am sorry I did not mean to bring up that part. I was just laughing at how karma got Mr. Smarty Pants and stabbed him." She put her hand on his arm. "Ryan, I am sorry. I shouldn't..."

Cutting her off he wrapped his arms around her and gently kissed her lips. "No, Rach, don't be sorry. It's ok. Let's just forget about it and go get some food. I am starved. Now, give me that killer smile." He took his thumb and traced her cheek until she smiled. Her eyes twinkled and he kissed her on the forehead before walking out.

Her dad had platters full of cooked hamburgers, hot dogs, smoked sausages and corn on the cob. Everyone gathered their plates and took a seat at one of the tables or eating areas outside. The kids had their own area in the grass and they were more concerned with playing than eating.

Rachel and Ryan found chairs next to her sisters and their husbands. "How was the dance last night? Ryan, I see you survived." Sara chided as she took a bite of her hamburger.

Shaking his head as he swallowed his first bite, he cleared his throat. "It was quite fun actually. I think Rachel stole the hearts of every poor boy there when they saw how gorgeous she looked in her dress. Good choice by the way Sara." His words caused Rachel to squirm with nervousness and embarrassment.

"Rachel, you did look beautiful." Lena added as she winked at Rachel. "I think you both made a very beautiful couple. Mom sure took enough pictures." They all laughed because they knew she was right.

Interrupting the laughter, Sara had a question. "Did you take pictures at the dance too? When do they come in?"

"They will be uploaded to their website by tomorrow I think. The photographer said it would not take long and we can put in our orders online." Rachel explained. Her sisters could not believe how quick that was. In their day, it was almost a month after the dance before they even saw proofs and by then many couples had broken up. Times, they are a changing they thought.