Just Another Day in L.A.

Faster, I told myself as I ran across the rooftops, my spoils from savaging the apartment building heavy in my backpack, weighing me down. I hadn't expected so many of the deaders to be inside, for them to break down the doors and chase me so quickly; it was like they were getting faster now!

I upped my pace, sailing over the broken down chairs and tables that had once been part of someone's patio in this shitty city that had once been called L.A.

Yeesh my muscles burned; you'd think I'd be more used to running at this point.

I cursed, staggering as my foot hung on a fallen clothes line. I caught my balance before I fell through the shattered skylight, my hands pressing against the edge. I flinched as I felt glass cut through my palm, but I didn't have time to worry about it.

Not with the intense amount of moans I could hear behind me.

I glanced back, my brown hair flashing in front of my eyes as I saw the zombies finally break through the roof door, the sound loud and painful to my ears as it crashed against the concrete roof, probably drawing the monsters from miles around.

Well this was wonderful.

I scrambled hastily to my feet, seeing the edge of the roof drawing near.

I could do this.

I would have to jump across if I hoped to make it, and I wasn't sure if I had enough speed to do it.

I would have to try regardless; a death by falling would be more pleasant then being torn apart.

I have to make it, I thought desperately as I ran along the rooftop, hearing their moans and yowls getting louder. I could see something moving along the rooftop across from mine, but my brain didn't have time to be afraid of it as I jumped, reaching desperately for the other side.

Please let me make it!

I hit the side of the building, but slipped. I yelped, dangling, my fingers clinging to the roof, the brick cutting them as I started to lose my grip. the blood from my hand started to drip down my arm, making rivulets against my skin.

Oh god, this was it. I had went through all of this for nothing!

I clenched my fingers along the edge, but my fingers were slipping ---.

This was how I died?

I'd figured I'd go out in a better way then this!

Well, at least I'll be with my family.

Chase would never forgive me for not coming back, though.

I winced, feeling my remaining hand start to slip, and then I was falling, my heart stuttering for a few seconds.

Oh no!

A strong wrist suddenly closed over mine, and I raised my head in panic, seeing hazel eyes meeting mine, a guy looking down at me.

"I got you," he gasped, his other hand closing around my arm.

His grip was painful as he pulled me over the ledge, and I looked back, seeing the deaders were still staggering toward us, falling off the roof in intervals when they leaned too far, their grasping fingers just itching for fresh meat.

I tried to catch my breath, the guy still gripping tightly onto me as we sat on the roof, though his grip now had gentled as he looked at my injuries.

I looked over at him.

His hair was black and shaggy around his face, and tattoos covered most of the skin I could see from his torn black t shirt that I think had once promoted some band. He had several lip piercings. Bruises covered his open skin like they did mine.