Chapter 26

Sehun wasn't counting the days they were trapped in the basement. But Luhan was.

"It's been a week and a half." Luhan weakly stated, the first noise the two made in quite a long time.

Sehun just nodded from where he lied on the cold hard basement floor.

The last time Sehun's father came down to "play" he let the two out of the chairs, knowing they were too weak to try to escape. He then beat them, left, and didn't come back since. It was weird, but Sehun and Luhan weren't complaining. After awhile, the drunken man forgot about the two teenage boys in his basement, letting their wounds heal, but their hunger worsen.

They were running on the very little water provided to them, and the stale bread the evil man would just throw down the steps before they are forgotten. Why was he keeping them alive? Why? What was the purpose?

They didn't know. All they knew was that every time they moved, an excruciating pain shot through them, and it was extremely difficult to stand.

"Luhan?" Sehun's voice cracked, not being used in a few days.

"Yeah?" Luhan's voice wasn't in great condition either.

"D-do you still love me? After this?" Tears were threatening to spill from Sehun's eyes, truly believing he wasn't loved anymore.

After a long silence, Sehun was certain the answer was no. His heart shattered into millions of pieces, unable to be fixed by anyone but the small deer-like boy lying on the hard floor in the algid basement with him.

Confusion spread throughout Sehun as his ears picked up a slight shuffling sound coming from his left. He turned his head to see that Luhan had moved so they were close together, trying his best to smile.

"Of course I love you." Luhan pecked Sehun's lips, the latter not caring that the other boy's breath was vile, for his probably was as well.

Whatever energy Sehun had left at that moment was used to wrap his arms around Luhan and bring him as close as possible, a desperate cuddle for warmth and reassurance. They stayed like that for a long time, Luhan encased in Sehun's embrace, until the door to the basement opened.

Adrenalin rushed through the two as their body's went into fight or flight mode, knowing that monster was coming to pay them a visit after four days of nothing.

"I'm back, boys." He chuckled evilly, taking a belt out from behind him.

"It's time to continue the game."

Sehun's dad advanced on them, but didn't quite make it to them before the doorbell rang from upstairs.

"Fuck." The man grumbled out. "I'll be back."

Sehun's dad left. He left and made a mistake. The door to the basement was ajar. It wasn't closed or locked; it was wide open.

Luhan looked into Sehun's eyes, mentally communicating with him. The desperation in his eyes seemed to say, "We either leave now, or we die here."

Sehun couldn't agree more with Luhan's silent message.

So, the adrenalin from fear helping them, the boys got up and walked up the stairs slowly. No matter how much it burned, no matter how much their muscles screamed for them to stop, no matter how much pain pounded into their heads, they continued up the stairs. Their only chance at freedom.

Miraculously, they were quiet on their trudge up the steps and into the hallway the door led to. Sehun's father didn't see them, until the front doorway came into sight.