A Dose Of Magnesium

“Ahhhhhh-Holy shit!” I said gripping on the door handle. We were on our way to the hospital.

“Honey the kids.” Billie said hoping to make my cussing stop. Joey, Kathy, and Lillian where all in the back seat. We didn’t have time to get anyone to get them so they are coming with us to the hospital.

“You have a watermelon come out of you and try not to cuss!” I said a bit ill. I started doing my deep breathing. Billie got on the phone and called his mom I assumed. We were getting on the highway. We still had a good 10 minutes. I kept breathing and heard Billie talking on the phone saying it was time. He started talking about the kids and I felt another contraction coming on. I gritted my teeth and grabbed the door handle squeezing. I grabbed Billie shoulder and moaned in pain. When he started letting out a light cry in pain I jerked my head to him. He obviously has no idea what kind of pain I’m feeling. When he saw me he quite yelling and sucked it up.

“Babe, mom wants to know how far apart are your thingy’s?” He asked. I took a few deep breaths trying to relax.

“Four… minutes…” I said between breaths.

“Four minutes mom!” He said getting off our exit ramp.

“Mommy I’m scared. Are you ok?” I moved the rearview mirror till I could see both girls face.

“Everything’s ok Kitten. It’s just your brother is coming tonight.” I smiled. She smiled in excitement.

“Jakob?!”

“Yep.” She let out a happy squeal.

“Lilly! My brothers coming!”

“I heard!” She said with the same excitement. I felt another contraction coming on.

“We're here!” Billie said stopping us in front of the door. He jumped out and ran around to me opening the door. I was gripping the dash with my head down squeezing, trying not to yell. I didn’t want to scare the kids even more. I saw a nurse run up with a wheel chair.

“We’ll get her sir; you just get your kids.” I heard her say. I heard him open the back. After my contraction was over, the nurse helped me to the wheel chair. As I was being pushed, in I heard Billie and the kids coming up behind me. They got me straight back into the birthing center and I was placed in a room in the north wing. The girls were sat on a couch in my room.

“They can’t be in here during the birthing.” A different nurse said.

“I know, someone’s coming to keep them.” Billie said. I was so happy someone else was coming up. I just pray Jakob waits a little, I really don’t want Billie having to take the kids out leaving me in here alone.

“Mrs. Armstrong we’re going to place you on this bed ok?” I nodded and they started lifting me. Billie helped me. I kept breathing.  “We have to get you changed into a gown.” I nodded. There was two nurses and a doctor in my room. The doctor and a nurse was hooking up things to a machine. A nurse grabbed a gown from a drawer and set it by me. “Ok, Mr. Armstrong, I need you to take these kids to the hall while we get her undressed.” He looked at me a bit worried. I nodded letting him know I was fine.

“Alright.” He gathered them up and they went to the hall. The doctor sat me up and asked me what I had been doing earlier, while the nurses were changing my clothes. I told her.

“Wait where’s doctor Hoover? He’s supposed to do the delivery.”  

“He’s been notified and is on his way. I have to look real quick to see how far your dilated though. If this baby starts coming before Hoover is here I have to start the process.” I nodded a bit scared.  As I was sat up a nurse put a band around my chest. She put the metal piece on it by my heart. “This is to keep track of your heart rate.” A chord from it led to a machine.  I nodded and another was placed on my belly. With the same chord. “This one is for the babies heart, and it tracks your contractions.” She pointed at a machine that started drawing a line on a small paper. It moved real slow. As I felt another contraction come on I saw the needle rise. “You’re about to have another contraction.”