♪ Chapter 7 ♪ - Who Are You, Yagami Light?

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, what is it?" asks Matsuda. "Did you notice something?" Oh yeah, the envelope.

"Mm, we know that Raye Penber got on the train and then hour and a half later, he got off and died on the platform. But the Yamamote line only takes an hour to complete it's circuit." he explains. I didn't know about that, that was a good notice. Still a biy laggy. "And more importantly, there's the envelope."

"What do you mean?" Aizawa asks.

Ryuuzaki replays the tape and pauses it to where we can see the envelope in view. "He's holding what looks like an envelope when he passes through the ticket gate."

"You're right, it's there under his arm! But in the footage right before his death, it's gone! I can't believe you actually caught that!"

"Well I don't see an envelope on this list of his personal effects." Yagami says, looking at the list.

"Which means it was left on the train. And if you watch closely, at the very ending, it seems like he's straining to look inside the train before the doors close. You can see right here."

"If that's the case, do you think it could mean something?" Yagami asks.

"He could have just forgotten it..." I mutter. "But wanting to look at something like that..."

"Wouldn't it be interesting if Kira was on that train?" Ryuuzaki asks. Actually on the train?

"That's impossible."

"I admit, I find it hard to believe as well. There's no reason for Kira to come to the scene of his own crime when he can kill from a distance... well, maybe he was counting on us to make that assumption, and figured he can get away with such a bold move." Ryuuzaki explains, eating more of the icecream.

Night seemed to have passed by quickly after that, and it felt like I couldn't sleep, either. I even tried, but thinking about the fact if Kira was or was not on that train prevented me from getting any rest. The next day, Watari got a call in the morning.

"Yes, would you just please hold for a moment." says Watari. "Ryuuzaki, it's Ukita-san of the NPA." Ryuuzaki standing nearby the pale blue couches in the living room of the hotel suite we were in. Matsuda and I are sitting on the couch he was standing in front of. "He says he's on the phone with someone from the tip-line who has information for us."

"Right, then give Ukita-san the number for line 5 and ask him to have the informant to call that line instead. It'll be safer that way." Ryuuzaki says. He turns to Matsuda. "Mr. Matsuda, it's okay for you to turn on your cellphone now. Actually please turn it on right away."

"Uh, sure." Matsuda says in a confused voive and he takes out his phone. It rings the very moment he switches it on. Ryuuzaki swipes it from his hand as soon as the phone rings and answeres in a fake voice.

"Yes, this is Suzuki, head of Kira's investigation public information division." he answered. "...Ray Penber's fiance? Misora Naomi." He turns to Watari, who starts to type the name on the laptop. Misora Naomi? Where have I heard that before? Was it, back at Whammy's House? Yeah, a few years ago, in one of L's visits, where I was really listening. It was the BB Murder Case in the U.S. Some of the boys were arguing that only guys are brave enough to be detectives, and L mentioned Naomi-san and how excellent of an agent she was.

*L*

I've heard that name before . . . L thinks as Watari finishes typing in the name. He spins the laptop around and it reveales a photo of a young woman with straight black hair and dark brown eyes with the name Misora Naomi displayed next to it. His eyes slightly widen. So it's her. She's from the Los Angeles BB Murder Case, that's right. She was working under me. I guess she must have come to Japan with her fiance. His eyes narrow as he hangs up the phone.