Chapter 143

This is dedicated to all readers of Ocean of Feather and to all readers who helped me years ago. There was a time in my writing career on Wattpad when my readers were really into commenting (halos hindi ko rin mabasa noon) but at some point, may mga readers talaga nakakalimutan na may mga writers pa rin na nagbabasa ng comment, you can always criticize us, writers, for us to improve, but it will not help us improve if you're going to compare us with the other writers and how they write their characters. Because we have different writing styles, we have different timelines and journeys in this career. Kaya dumating ako sa point na nagmu-mute ako ng readers para hindi na sila makagawa ng mahabang conversation sa ibang readers about other story or characters na wala naman rito o sa mga sinulat ko. But now, with my recent stories, maybe my readers learned how to help the writers in a very simple way-- read with respect.

I am always grateful to have considerate readers for years. Thank you so much!

Chapter 143

There was a big fire, waves, strong winds, and rain. How could all these happen in one night?

Some women were screaming, crying, praying, and hugging each other. But I was there, at the edge of our dark prison cell, hugging my legs to my chest as I buried my face behind it.

If everyone's witnessing our greatest nightmare, I imagined myself in my next life. Maybe I'd be a musician again, not with an old piano with lost keys, but with a new one, dressed beautifully in a nightgown, expensive jewelry, and audiences watching over me. I'd receive flowers, smiles, and appreciation.

Iyon lang ang tanging kahilingan ko habang nagkakagulo ang barko kung saan sakay ang napakaraming babae, upang ipagbenta at pagkakitaan ng masasamang loob. But something probably happened that's why we caught on fire. Sa lakas man ng ulan ay sigurado akong magagawa na kaming makitil hindi lang ng apoy kundi ang makapal na usok na ito.

Pilit akong nag-isip ng magagandang memorya at mga kahilingan na sana'y matupad sa hinaharap. Hanggang sa tuluyan nang nabuksan ang kulangan.

The shadow of a heaving woman with her hair tied up and her extended arm on the wrecked door caught our attention. "You're all saved! Run! My ship is waiting for all of you."

Hindi ko na naintindihan ang lahat ng pangyayari ng mga oras na iyon. Nagtakbuhan na kaming lahat at sinundan namin ang babae, may mga nakahandusay nang mga masasamang loob ang nasa sahig habang pilit kaming tumatakbo sa kabila nang gumegewang na barko.

She stayed on the old ship as she patiently counted all the women's victims until we finally boarded her ship. All the crew were women and they happily manned the huge ship.

Walang katapusang iyakan at pasasalamat ang natanggap ng misteryosang babae.

"The fight is not yet over. The sea is coming for us."

Lahat kami ay napalingon sa umaangat na alon sa aming harapan. "If we did not survive, I hope I'll meet you again."

Ngumiti siya sa akin. "It's an honor."

***

Nagising ako sa pagkakasubsob sa aking lamesa, walang tao sa maliit kong coffee shop. Sana naman ay may dumating akong customer.

I was about to take my phone and browse on IG when the bell hanging at the door frame chimed. My head tilted when I saw a little girl wearing yellow, a straw hat cap, and a cute sunflower backpack. She was tightly holding the strap of her bag as she reads the menu.

"I want cheesecake and chocolate drink."

When she handed me money, she smiled at me. "Are you alone?"

"Yes! Pero dadaanan na lang daw rito si Mommy."

"Okay. I'll bring your order."

"Thank you!"

She picked her table and she happily swayed her little legs while waiting for me. Naglabas din siya ng malaking notebook at nagsimula siyang magsulat doon.

Nang makarating na ako sa table niya at inilapag ko iyong order niya, hindi ko na mapigilan ang sarili kong magtanong. "What are you doing? Are you doing your assignment?"

Umiling siya at ngumiti sa akin. "I will write stories!"

"Wow."

"I write stories of brave and beautiful ladies, do you want me to write yours?"

Tipid akong napangiti. "Sure."

"Do you play that?"

Itinuro niya iyong piano. I nodded. "I want to hear!"

Muli akong ngumiti. "Of course. I'll play it for you."

Tumabi siya sa akin at nakinig siya sa pagtugtog ko, at nang matapos ako ay pumalakpak siya sa akin. "You're so galing naman!"

"Thank you!"

"For that, I will write a story of a pianist who owns a coffee shop."

I laughed. "Thank you!"

When that little girl smiled at me, a familiar woman flashed inside my mind. Someone with those innocent eyes, and then she said, "It's an honor."